IF YOU GO
* What: Comedian Dave Chappelle.
* When: 7:30 p.m. (sold out) and 10 p.m. Wednesday, June 26.
* Where: Tivoli Theatre, 709 Broad St.
* Admission: $53 plus fees.
* Phone: 423-642-TIXS.
* Website: www.ChattanoogaOnStage.com.
* Note: Tickets also on sale at the Memorial Auditorium box office, 399 McCallie Ave. Regular hours are 10 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
HOW YOU KNOW HIM
* 1992: "Def Comedy Jam"
* 1993: "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" / "Undercover Blues"
* 1995: "Home Improvement"
* 1996: "The Nutty Professor" / "Buddies"
* 1997: "Con Air"
* 1998: "HBO Comedy Half-Hour" / "Half Baked" / "You've Got Mail"
* 1999: "200 Cigarettes" / "Blue Streak"
* 2000 "Screwed"
* 2002: "Undercover Brother"
* 2003-06: "Chappelle's Show"
* 2005, 2008: "Inside the Actors Studio"
* 2006: "Dave Chappelle's Block Party"
* 2007: "I'm Rick James"
The quick sellout of the Tivoli Theatre for a Dave Chappelle performance on Wednesday, June 26, prompted promoters and venue officials to add a second show, this one at 10 p.m.
The Chattanooga appearance might count as a dry run for a monthlong comedy tour announced earlier this week. Chappelle, who abruptly left show business midway through the third season of his highly regarded sketch comedy series, "Chappelle's Show," will make his most substantial return to stand-up comedy for Funny Or Die, headlining its Oddball Comedy & Curiosity Festival. The 13-date tour kicks off in August.
In the meantime, he is testing out material throughout the Southeast. Before stopping in Chattanooga, he'll do three shows in Nashville and two in Knoxville. He'll follow with five shows in Atlanta, among other cities.
Until recently, he had confined his appearances to occasional drop-ins at The Laugh Factory in Los Angeles and spots on "Inside the Actors Studio."
Chappelle is ranked No. 43 in "Comedy Central Presents: 100 Greatest Stand-Ups of All Time." "Chappelle's Show" is No. 31 on TV Guide's list of TV's Top 100 Shows.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:
related articles »
BARRY COURTER: Lisa, one of the funniest skits I've seen in a long while is the Dave Chappelle mockumentary involving ...
Apparently, comedian Dave Chappelle is a popular man in Chattanooga.
Dave Chappelle, the stand-up comic/television star who has skewered everyone from Tiger Woods to Rick James, will appear at The ...