• Read-A-Palooza: Hamilton Place, JCPenney Court's stage, noon-4 p.m., free. United Way of Greater Chattanooga sponsors children's literacy event with carnival games, arts and crafts and reading. LiveUnitedChattanooga.org.
• Complementary Health Education Organization: Nutrition World, 6201 Lee Highway, 2-4 p.m., holistic health group's meeting is open to the public. Program by Riva Teem on maintaining a healthy digestive system and energy medicine. 413-9343.
• Historical Association lecture: Chattanooga Public Library, 1001 Broad St., 6 p.m., free. Chattanooga Area Historical Association sponsors talk by Times Free Press columnist David Cook on "The Tea Party and Women's Liberation." 364-3169.
• Sierra Club: Outdoor Chattanooga, 200 River St., 7 p.m., free, Megan Spooner speaks on Tennessee Healthy Energy Campaign, using local efforts as examples of energy efficiency. 718-5009.
• Ross Mason Lecture: First Tennessee Bank, 1350 Broad St., 5-7 p.m., registration required. The Company Lab and First Tennessee Bank sponsor "GIGTANK Presents: Ross Mason on Innovation, Healthcare and Chattanooga." Mason, founder of the Healthcare Institute for Neuro-Recovery and Innovation, will speak on the need for entrepreneurial thinking in health care. gigtankrossmason.eventbrite.com.
• Lookout Valley community party: John A. Patten Recreation Center, 3202 Kelly's Ferry Road, noon-4 p.m., free. Lookout Valley Neighborhood Association sponsors Red, White and Blue party with music by Elvis and Friends and Cowboy Country Band. Bring picnic lunch and lawn chairs.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...
related articles »
• Civil War lecture: Catoosa County Library, 108 Catoosa Circle in Benton Place campus, Ringgold, Ga., 1 p.m., free, sponsored ...
* CEG/INCubator Seminar: "The Six Behaviors of Great Leaders" from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. Tuesday at The INCubator: 100 ...