published Friday, March 1st, 2013

Insecurity

about Clay Bennett...

The son of a career army officer, Bennett led a nomadic life, attending ten different schools before graduating in 1980 from the University of North Alabama with degrees in Art and History. After brief stints as a staff artist at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and the Fayetteville (NC) Times, he went on to serve as the editorial cartoonist for the St. Petersburg Times (1981-1994) and The Christian Science Monitor (1997-2007), before joining the staff of the ...

125
Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.
Salsa said...

Remember kids...only PRO-Obama bigotry is politically correct.

March 1, 2013 at 12:11 a.m.
nucanuck said...

Intresting that Obama is related to more of our Founding Fathers and past Presidents than any other President. In the minds of haters, Obama's intelligence and blood-line pedigree are off-set by his being only 50% white. Now, that's good old boy prejudice for you...the 100% ignorant criticizing the 50% white.

March 1, 2013 at 12:32 a.m.
WHS1970 said...

Jim Hammond finally shows his true color, bigot yellow.

March 1, 2013 at 1:20 a.m.
alprova said...

I'm on the fence about what Jim Hammond said.

On one hand, what he expressed is very true. There are people who are predicting the end of the world and civil unrest due to Barack Obama being the President. I didn't take it that he, himself, believes that, but there is that sentiment simmering out there.

On the other hand, even if there is some truth to such a statement, it probably shouldn't be repeated by a public figure such as a Sheriff.

I had a customer come into my business today who is very anti-Obama, and he spoke at length in predicting that at some point in the future that all public assistance for the poor will come to an abrupt end and that total anarchy will result.

Hungry people will be robbing and stealing, bodies of both good and bad people will be hauled away in dump trucks, and of course, he believes that since the "Liberals" are all coming for all the guns, no one will be able to protect themselves from criminals who will all surely be armed and able to take whatever they want. You get the idea.

I let the man vent because although he was anti-Obama, he kept his remarks respectful. The worst word used was "Communist." I have come to realize that it is a complete waste of time to enter into debate with such people. They are firmly convinced that this nation is going down the toilet and they have their hands on the flush handle.

It's going to be a long...long four years for some people. I predict that a slew of Republican/conservative cheerleaders are going to suffer strokes and heart attacks, simply from staying so keyed up all the time.

Bigotry is indeed alive and thriving. There is not a day that goes by that someone does not utter the "n" word in my place of business, whenever they see his picture on my wall, of course, after they look around real quickly so that they are sure that they are not in mixed company. People are so chicken.

It has truly become a game, in that we have been keeping score of the number of times the word is uttered by someone. Oh...and a week has not gone by since December, 2011, that someone is asked to leave when they go on a tirade of some sort involving their opinion of those of another race. That's where I draw the line.

I have video cameras with sound and lots of discs of such incidents. Some people have not an ounce of shame.

There is hope on the horizon though. All but one or two have always been people in their 50's or older, that cross that magic line.

March 1, 2013 at 4:06 a.m.
BigRidgePatriot said...

People dislike Obama because of his policies, total lack of respect for separation of powers and the Constitution, his expansion of dependancy, his total lack of fiscal discipline, his racist way of looking at America...

The problem is not the colour of his skin, it is what is going on between his ears.

March 1, 2013 at 6:10 a.m.
BigRidgePatriot said...

Bennett is the bigot.

March 1, 2013 at 6:11 a.m.
patriot1 said...

Psychological Projection...Sigmund Freud taught us this and it is very common. A defense mechanism whereby one attempts to mask and then project their own true feelings onto someone else.

In addition many democrats still have feelings of guilt due to their history with race in this country which is understandable.

March 1, 2013 at 6:14 a.m.
MTJohn said...

Patriot - your post is an excellent example of the very thing you are talking about!

March 1, 2013 at 6:48 a.m.
conservative said...

alprova,

"Outside of your little closed-minded world, there are many people much like myself who do not view the Bible as "the word of God," who tend to understand that it is a work of mortal men, both when it was compiled, and when it was translated into 3,700 different languages"

Perhaps you are confined indoors for if you were to venture out you would find scores of buildings with signs signifying "church" and when people meet there you will find the Bible, the word of God read, preached and studied there.

Now, tell everyone in your big open-minded world where the large number of Christians gather to preach, and teach that there is no word of God as you insist!

Why the continual contempt for the intelligence of others, the continual charade that you are a Christian, the continual blasphemy and the continual anti Christian words?

March 1, 2013 at 7:20 a.m.
BluesHarp said...

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities" – Voltaire

"It is certain, in any case, that ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have. " ~James Baldwin

“Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.” ― George Gordon Byron

“When someone else's safety and acceptance in society is on the line, your personal discomfort comes in a very distant second.” ― Courtney Milan

"At his best, man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and justice he is the worst. -Aristotle

"Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked."
-Psalm 82:3-4

"Where there is no vision, the people perish." -The Book of Proverbs

March 1, 2013 at 7:29 a.m.
dude_abides said...

I think the question we're all stepping around is... what role did Obama have in the Pope leaving? What Chicago thug pressure was brought to bear on his soon-to-be-former holiness? Popes don't just walk away! I hear the papal front runner's name is Cardinal Sinn, and he has a teardrop tattooed in the corner of his eye. If that popemobile gets spinners...

March 1, 2013 at 7:32 a.m.
librul said...

As one would expect, Aristotle gets an A+ and a gold star.

March 1, 2013 at 7:32 a.m.
librul said...

Van Cliburn proved 55 years ago that cultural exchange and the universal language of music can make divisive rhetoric and the pompous posturing of political blowhards simply evaporate into the ether. Sadly, we have let the term "music" become associated with divisive rhetoric itself. Take a minute or two and try to appreciate a miracle from the mind of one man expressed through the artistry of another:

http://lnmc.crooksandliars.com/john-amato/rip-van-cliburn-plays-tchaikovsky-piano#sthash.6cJ99zYT.dpbs

March 1, 2013 at 7:56 a.m.
alprova said...

conservative wrote: "Perhaps you are confined indoors for if you were to venture out you would find scores of buildings with signs signifying "church" and when people meet there you will find the Bible, the word of God read, preached and studied there."

Not to mention a place where a procession of cherry picked scripture is often cited that is almost always taken completely out of context, misunderstood, and recanted on a day of the week that is not the sabbath day as God declared it. Next point...

"Now, tell everyone in your big open-minded world where the large number of Christians gather to preach, and teach that there is no word of God as you insist!"

Sir, I have allowed you ample opportunity to refute what I presented as fact, that the Bible was not written by God, but in fact was written and translated by many mortal and imperfect men, and yet you refuse to address the issue.

It's your problem...not mine.

"Why the continual contempt for the intelligence of others, the continual charade that you are a Christian, the continual blasphemy and the continual anti Christian words?"

The expression of truth and fact is not blasphemy, no matter how many times you claim it is. If you consider yourself to be intelligent when it comes to the Bible, then you and I really have nothing left to discuss, and I am hardly anti-Christian.

What I am is a Christian with a functioning brain that God endowed me with and that I intend to use until my time on Earth is over.

March 1, 2013 at 9:23 a.m.
Leaf said...

Whaaat!?! Are you telling me that a Chattanooga cop is racist!?!?! I am flabbergasted!

March 1, 2013 at 9:28 a.m.
alprova said...

dude_abides wrote: "I think the question we're all stepping around is... what role did Obama have in the Pope leaving? What Chicago thug pressure was brought to bear on his soon-to-be-former holiness?"

You may have hit on the one thing, thus far, that has not been laid at the feet of the President. I'm sure that somewhere, at some point in the future, the accusation will be seriously made.

March 1, 2013 at 9:30 a.m.
conservative said...

alprova,

"Outside of your little closed-minded world, there are many people much like myself who do not view the Bible as "the word of God," who tend to understand that it is a work of mortal men, both when it was compiled, and when it was translated into 3,700 different languages"

So, why do you keep citing the Bible when you blaspheme?

March 1, 2013 at 9:30 a.m.
jjmez said...

alprova said... I'm on the fence about what Jim Hammond said.

Some people are purposely and conviently taking out of context what Jim Hammond said. I didn't take it that he said what he said because he approved of it. He said what he said as fact of what others have said, are saying and their actions and the reasons for those actions. After President Obama's first election there were actually locals on discussion forums bragging about how they were going to overthrow OBAMAS government. Not THE federal government, but OBAMA'S GOVERNMENT! They went undercover when someone must have warned them their words could be considered a threat to the president. 1906 or 2013, no change here.

sick city, sick state even SICKER NATION.

March 1, 2013 at 9:30 a.m.
conservative said...

You will answer to the Lord Jesus Christ for this blasphemy :

"Was Jesus a perfect man while on Earth? Although few and far between, there is scripture that suggests that Jesus was not perfect."

"And again, you fail to include the scripture I cited that proves that Jesus himself did not consider himself to be perfect and without sin."

Why do you keep on with this charade of claiming to be a Christian? Is it for business reasons?

Who do you think you are fooling?

March 1, 2013 at 9:38 a.m.
conservative said...

alprova,

"Not to mention a place where a procession of cherry picked scripture is often cited that is almost always taken completely out of context, misunderstood, and recanted on a day of the week that is not the sabbath day as God declared it."

"not the sabbath day as God declared it"

Now, you say we don't have the word of God, so how do you know what God declared?

March 1, 2013 at 9:44 a.m.
MickeyRat said...

The only person openly showing a contempt for intelligence is you 'Conservative'! And I might add that; you're * "incessant badgering, name calling and hateful diatribes" border on, if not cyber stalking or bullying, then surely mental illness. Or a special type of bigotry of your own making. 'Same difference I suppose'.

*Limric

March 1, 2013 at 9:45 a.m.
jesse said...

Cyber stalking sums it up BUT Alprova seems to enjoy beatin his head against a brick wall so there ya go!

If he was HOUNDING me that way i woulda already been in touch w/ the power at T/FP!!

March 1, 2013 at 9:55 a.m.
lkeithlu said...

I don't think I've met anyone capable of doing more damage to the Christian cause than conservative. I still think he may be Fred Phelps in sockpuppet form.

Because he is an absolutist, it is easy to set a trap. Because he doesn't think, he falls into it quickly. Because he is clueless, he never realizes that he has been trapped and made to look silly. If this is what your brain on fundy religion looks like, I want no part of it.

March 1, 2013 at 10:01 a.m.
Leaf said...

It an empty threat when a bible-thumper says you'll burn in hell for your blasphemy. It's a threat when he says he's going to hasten you along.

March 1, 2013 at 10:05 a.m.
moon4kat said...

Hammond is a disgrace and embarrassment to the region. And, the people who feel "fearful" with Obama as President must be easily-manipulated tools and/or ignorant racists if they weren't also fearful under George W. Bush.
There was much more to fear under Bush & Cheney's belligerent incompetence. Don't forget, the 9/11 tragedy happened on their watch, while they ignored the warnings they were given.

March 1, 2013 at 10:27 a.m.
carlB said...

Hammond definitely left the message, in his opinion that all of the increase of what he called anti government organizations have formed because President Obama was elected. He is wrong in his opinion. When the Republicans decided to be obstructive against everything President Obama WANTED TO DO in getting the RECOVERY from the effects of the 2007 deep recession. The actions by the Republicans (enemies for the good of this Republic) alone should be called a "treasonous act" against the "Commander IN Chief" for if he had failed then what would HAVE HAPPENED TO prevent this Republic from falling into another great depression? Is this the failure that the Republicans were wanting to cause? Without the help of the US Government to help re-create the production and private manufacturing jobs since the private corporations will not do the proper thing by reinvesting here in the USA without subsidies and incentives.

Another great depression could create the conditions of having "Anarchy" to occur in the USA and even to occur world wide. From all of the indications, there are many people who would prefer to live in a world wide "Anarchy" than to live in a balanced "Republic" with laws and a government strong enough to keep the needed balanced conditions.

March 1, 2013 at 10:54 a.m.
acerigger said...

I think Sheriff Hammond's comments were based on his observations not his opinions. It's a safe bet to say that the majority of people in our area get their news and views from Fox,Rush, Beck, and the usual hate- talkers. Therefore, they have had a steady diet of propaganda concerning the"socialist, Kenyan, Muslim, communist" president of the United States for the past five years or so. Most of these poor folks wouldn't recognize a socialist if it sat down beside them in the pew on Sunday morning,but to them it sounds really scary. These hate talkers have an agenda,mainly making a lot of money from the ill informed, but it certainly keeps the population outraged and divided.

March 1, 2013 at 11:10 a.m.
timbo said...

First of all, I don't know who Jim Hammond is talking to, but I don't know anyone who is afraid of black people.

All this statement proves is that Jim Hammond is a dumbass. It is no surprise for those of us who knew he was an "ex" democrat who changed to be a "Republican" to run for sheriff. Thanks a lot, Harold Coker.

People are concerned about Barack Obama because he is a liberal socialist, not because he is half black. He is trying to fundamentally change this country into an in debt, nanny state. We are concerned because he is letting the environmental whackos and those that adhere to the global warming religion take over. We are concerned because he wants government to enter every facet of our lives.

Fear, hell no...concern and apprehension, you bet.

March 1, 2013 at 11:17 a.m.
Livn4life said...

And the True Problem is...A Media and unthinking part of the public who claim any Anti-Obama sentiment, ie he does not know how to run the country, he threatens people with his power, are automatically bigoted. That is the Problem. Many of us respect our President and the office. Many pray for him and wish the best for his family and him in very troubling times while also disagreeing with his political perspective. Guess what? We get called all the bad names which people who bash the President receive and deserve. There seems to be a perspective ie (leftism)which has the luxury of labeling and determining what is proper(politically correct)and unacceptable UNLESS...a Leftist is engaged in it. That is indeed a PROBLEM. End of the world, end of the US? I don't know but the changes coming sure do not give any indication they are positive answers for the major problems we have currently in this country.

March 1, 2013 at 11:21 a.m.
mountainlaurel said...

Alprova says: "I'm on the fence about what Jim Hammond said. . . On one hand, what he expressed is very true. There are people who are predicting the end of the world and civil unrest due to Barack Obama being the President. I didn't take it that he, himself, believes that, but there is that sentiment simmering out there. . . On the other hand, even if there is some truth to such a statement, it probably shouldn't be repeated by a public figure such as a Sheriff."

Yes, I agree and think you're probably right this, Alprova. I also suspect the poor sheriff may be overwhelmed. It’s certainly understandable since most of the people he sees day after day are either criminals or crazed politicians. He needs to remember that President Obama was re-elected by a majority of the U. S citizenry, which might help him to focus on the bigger picture.

March 1, 2013 at 11:44 a.m.
Rickaroo said...

Hammond finally dared to say what many Obama haters truly think about Obama but have been too afraid to admit in public: that they view him as a n#gger, pure and simple. They vehemently deny being racist, yet they have no problem hurling every other name in the book at him that's just as bad as the N-word, or worse. They might as well throw in the N-word, too, and be done with it. It's funny (perplexingly so) that they call him the worst president in our entire history and conveniently forget about our most recent and truly worst president and vice-president, the incomparably incompetent and corrupt Bush and Cheney. 9/11, a phony and ill conceived war, a trashing of our individual rights, an instantaneous transformation of a surplus into a deficit, and the worst recession since the Great Depression all happened under the watch of that dastardly duo Bush/Cheney. But Obama, in their eyes, is the evil, incompetent numero uno of all time? Yeah, right.

I'm sure that there are many Obama haters, like timbo there, who do not hate him so much for the color of his skin but because he's such a "liberal socialist." But people so unduly paranoid to think that his liberalism is going to be our ruin are obviously ignorant of even our most basic history. The liberalism of former Republican presidents Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, and Eisenhower - not to mention that of the most liberal of all liberals, Democrat FDR - was far more extreme than anything Obama has carried out, but their liberal ways not only did not bring this nation to its knees but served to advance it and help us to grow and prosper. But somehow Obama's liberalism is what is taking us down the toilet? Only in the fearful, deluded minds of the wacko wing-nuts. You guys would display more sense in hating him just because he's black than hating him for being such an "evil" liberal socialist. You don't make any sense at all.

March 1, 2013 at 11:53 a.m.
limric said...

Interesting reactions to Clay’s dance steps.

Moon4kat states, “Hammond is a disgrace and embarrassment to the region.”

Within the confines of articles relating to, and today’s cartoon I ask, Why?

WHS1970 said, “Jim Hammond finally shows his true color, bigot yellow.”

Within the confines of articles relating to, and today’s cartoon I ask, How?

BigRidgePatriot said, ”People dislike Obama because of his policies, total lack of respect for separation of powers and the Constitution, his expansion of dependency, his total lack of fiscal discipline, his racist way of looking at America”

The above comment has all the hallmarks of a lack of historical reference, perspective and selective memory.

”A total lack of respect for separation of powers and the Constitution”. While I mostly agree with this, our reason may differ, and this is certainly not something that magically happened in January 2009.

“His expansion of dependency”. This has nothing to do with Obama’s policies. They are wholly the result of an economic crash. Caused by??

”His total lack of fiscal discipline”. Again, this is not something that magically happened in January 2009.

”His racist way of looking at America”. This is a totally baseless and, I’m sorry to say, lends credence to Sheriff Jim Hammond’s comments quoted in today’s cartoon.

” Bennett is the bigot.” Really? Hmm…….

We have enough blatant pointy hooded racists posting here (Maximus and JonRoss are textbook examples) without needing to bring a gas can to them - in an open field - in the dead of the night.

BRP...Your slip is showing. ;-)

March 1, 2013 at 11:58 a.m.
caddy said...

It's about the content of a man's character. This president and his cronies are systematically destroying America.

“The danger to America is not Barack Obama, but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency. It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president. The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails America. Blaming the prince of fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools, such as those who made him their President.”

March 1, 2013 at 12:08 p.m.
caddy said...

Clay Bennett makes a good Comrade and spokesman for the "official" Party.

March 1, 2013 at 12:11 p.m.
conservative said...

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship"

Alexander Tytler 1787

March 1, 2013 at 12:33 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

Ayuh-we survived 8 years of Bush, sort of. Seems as if his performance is always white-washed. Pun intended.

March 1, 2013 at 12:33 p.m.
Rickaroo said...

Nooga, don't make fun of timbo. He's a scientist and has studied global warming extensively. He has said so. He's also a business owner, which gives him the right to say and do anything with complete validity. Unless you run your own business you are incapable of understanding or even having a right to form an opinion about anything because you do not have an understanding of life itself. I know this because timbo has said so. Business owners are the backbone of this nation and all other people are just takers, grunts, peons, expendables, etc. I know this because timbo has said so. Timbo is always right and timbo rules because timbo owns his own business and that makes him right and that makes him better, stronger, faster, smarter. I know this because timbo has said so. Or if he has not said it outright he always implies it. Anyway, we do not make fun of THE TIMBO. We don't want to hurt the little twerp's feelings, do we?

March 1, 2013 at 12:37 p.m.
conservative said...

"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of 'liberalism,' they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened."

Norman Thomas (US Socialist Presidential Candidate)

March 1, 2013 at 12:41 p.m.
limric said...

Caddy, - and other free market socialists

I’d be willing to bet there are millions of people that would posit (and rightly so) the country was ”systematically destroyed” by the criminal cabal of chickenhawk, neo-con, corporate socialists (fascists if you will) of the first administration of the 21st century.

Quote, ” The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool.” You may be right. However, a republic based on the much vaunted ‘conservatism’ will not!

The muffled, hood covered chants of Maximus & JonRoss beckons you – as a moth to the mighty crosses flame - in the open field - in the middle of the night.

March 1, 2013 at 12:44 p.m.
conservative said...

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."

Benjamin Franklin

March 1, 2013 at 12:56 p.m.
timbo said...

rickaroo...Ignorant of history? Maybe so, but at least I don't rewrite it like you do.

Are there white people who think he is just another (in your terms)n#gger? I am sure there are but when there are so many conservative black people embraced by the same people you call racist you look kind of silly.

First of all comparing political philosophy through time by being republican or democrat is even more silly. Justifying Obama's liberalism citing his fellow liberals is not very convincing. Was FDR more liberal, yea, but he didn't have a Republican congress to stop him. This article shows that FDR principles were repudiated in the congressional elections of 1938. http://ashbrook.org/publications/oped-busch-06-1938/ The New Deal was over and FDR's economic policies were shown to be hurting the recovery.

I am glad you brought this up because Theodore Roosevelt was a progressive just like Obama. Progressives are in both parties today. Progressives and liberals are virtually the same thing. I don't care what you call yourself, Republican or Democrat, if your liberal your liberal.

As far as Eisenhower, he didn't even know if he was going to run as a democrat or republican until the last minute. It was no surprise that he turned out to be a progressive.

The only thing that has kept Obama in check are true conservatives. Whether you like it not the Tea Party led the takeover of congress in 2010. The republicans lost the last two presidential elections because of running two moderate/liberal candidates. Obama basically hates traditional America. He is the most liberal/socialist president in our history. If it weren't for the Republican house, he would be much worse.

This stupid racism argument is getting old and is used when you idiots have no other argument.

History? You wouldn't know it if it bit you.

March 1, 2013 at 12:59 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

The quote game! Glad to see that connie wants to play.

"I’m completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death."

George Carlin

March 1, 2013 at 1:07 p.m.
mtngrl said...

Bigotry is not only defined by black/white. There are many anti-liberal bigots on here daily.

Clinton really did have a "vast right-wing conspiracy" against him and he was white, so I am sure there are many of you who hate Obama just because he does not agree with your extreme right-wing views. Most of the country doesn't agree with you either by the way.

The real racists are the ones who got real glee from the "Barack the magic Negro" ads and the like (and forwarded those to your peers). The ones who believe in all the birther crap, or that he is a Muslim, or anything else that portrays him as something "other". These are the ones I believe Hammond was speaking of, and he is correct. Many of you grace these pages all the time. Only a few of you are brave/stupid enough to use the actual N-word.

March 1, 2013 at 1:32 p.m.
limric said...

Conversely Mr. Conservative,

A) "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."

B) "But he saw too that in America the struggle was befogged by the fact that the worst Fascists were they who disowned the word 'Fascism' and preached enslavement to Capitalism under the style of Constitutional and Native Traditional American Liberty."

A Attributed to Sinclair Lewis, B From Sinclair Lewis’s book, ‘It Can't Happen Here’


I love your quote lkeithlu,

And especially apropos for today is:

“The word bipartisan means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out”

~George Carlin

March 1, 2013 at 1:34 p.m.
MickeyRat said...

You Timbo are dancing. The dance of selective historical interpretation. A tribal dance perfected by a willfully ignorant right. A whirling dervish swirl of disguised incompetence and fraud.

See limric's B above.

March 1, 2013 at 1:51 p.m.
jesse said...

MtnGrl? Got a few anti conservative bigots on here too ,in case you haven't noticed!

March 1, 2013 at 1:51 p.m.
jesse said...

WOW nooga! I haven't heard that word said out loud in 15 years!

I guess we just run i9n diff.circles!

March 1, 2013 at 2:02 p.m.
limric said...

Being a slow libtard, it just dawned on me. While reading 'The Big Green Eggs' post about anti-conservative bigots, I looked back to Salsa’s post which said, ” Remember kids...only PRO-Obama bigotry is politically correct..

What the heck does that mean?

March 1, 2013 at 2:02 p.m.
Rickaroo said...

Timbo...

The point I was making is how far Republicans have veered off course from what used to be more moderate conservatism. Yes, Teddy Roosevelt was a progressive and you are correct in saying that Ike considered running as a Democrat - he ended up running as a Republican mostly because he came from a long line of Republicans. But the fact is that their presidency was still under the umbrella of the Republican Party and accepted by their fellow Republicans. But the GOP today has become so radical in its conservatism that both TR and Ike would reject the party as it is or the party would reject them. Regardless of their party affiliation, their liberal ways did not come close to bringing this country to its knees and in fact served to make it a better and stronger nation.

Whether FDR's policies hindered the economy and prolonged the Depression can never be proved conclusively but you conservatives like to cite the duration of it as evidence that he prolonged it. The fact is, though, that the free market was reduced to almost complete impotency and was in no shape to just pick itself up. It did not just hit a speed bump, it was rendered a death blow and brought to a screeching halt, incapable of fixing itself. An outside catalyst was necessary to get the near-dead engines of free enterprise going again. WW2 proved to be such a catalyst but in the meantime FDR instituted some positive reforms that were necessary and beneficial for the common good and allowed free enterprise and “liberalism” to co-exist in a way that proved to be productive for the next 3 decades. Our country has never been stronger, richer, and more productive than it was in those decades following WW2. And those “liberal socialist” policies of the New Deal were very much intact and responsible for more working-class people living the American Dream than at any time before or since.

You think our “stupid racism arguments” are getting old? Hell, not nearly as old as your irrational hatred of all things liberal. Liberalism and conservatism have existed ever since humankind has existed. Whether we call ourselves liberal or conservative is almost as much a part of our genetic makeup as our height or the color of our eyes. It's as visceral and intuitive as it is an intellectual choice that we make. There is a place for both in this world. I do not hate all business owners or conservatives and do not want to do away with free enterprise. Just because I think that capitalism needs sensible regulation to keep it in check does not make me a Communist or Marxist. But today’s brand of rabid conservative thinks that liberalism is a “disease” or a “mental illness,” all the while denying the positive things that liberalism has accomplished for us. You, sir, are a feeble-minded twit to think that liberalism does not have its rightful place at the table in any country that would claim to be a democratic republic.

March 1, 2013 at 2:11 p.m.
Leaf said...

Willfull ignorance is an American thing, and especially a Southern thing. We positively wallow in the cult of the average joe sixpack. We think that common sense is somehow better than science and education, and that education and intelligence drives out common sense.

I just love it when some billionaire politician has himself filmed in a plaid shirt and a cowboy hat, leaning on a tractor, nodding while some old farmer speaks.

March 1, 2013 at 2:11 p.m.
jesse said...

I think it's safe to say that every humanoid on the planet is bigoted to some degree toward some portion of the rest the humanoids they share the planet with!WE are all divided up into sects,tribes and ideology's! To some extent we all take part in "THE PECKING ORDER"!

March 1, 2013 at 2:13 p.m.
Leaf said...

Well said, Rickaroo.

March 1, 2013 at 2:14 p.m.
mtngrl said...

jesse said...

"MtnGrl? Got a few anti conservative bigots on here too ,in case you haven't noticed!"

Yes, it sure can go both ways. I just do not see as many posts full of hateful names with no facts to back it up on this particular site from the lefties but that is not saying it doesn't exist. The haters who hate just to hate are usually most active with their opposing party is in office.

As for Salsa's first post - I thought that was perfect. Now I am sure the dance portrayed in the toon is a Salsa dance!

March 1, 2013 at 2:17 p.m.
jesse said...

Out of all the posters on here mtngrl i can think of maybe 5 or 6 that i haven't seen ANY hateful name calling and just general arzholery from! That includes folks from BOTH sides of the political spectrum! I Know that i have lashed out a time or two.flat out lost my cool !

March 1, 2013 at 2:32 p.m.
Leaf said...

If there's one thing I hate, it's hateful hating haters who hate just to hate. Effing haters.

March 1, 2013 at 2:42 p.m.
jesse said...

AMEN!! LMAO!!

March 1, 2013 at 2:45 p.m.
conservative said...

alprova,

"recanted on a day of the week that is not the sabbath day as God declared it."

There is a reason why Christians worship on Sunday, but of course you wouldn't know that.

Why don't you drop the charade?

March 1, 2013 at 2:52 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

Back again?

“It’s not uncommon to meet pastors’ wives who really let themselves go.“ —Minister Mark Driscoll of the Mars Hill Church of Seattle, defending the homosexual escapades of Rev. Ted Haggard in 2006 -

''I'm a Christian first, and a mean-spirited, bigoted conservative second, and don't you ever forget it.''

—Ann Coulter, in her book ''If Democrats had Any Brains, They'd be Republicans''

March 1, 2013 at 2:56 p.m.
DJHBRAINERD said...

I was walking down Duval and there are folks down here with an impeach Obama petition. Found that a little strange being on Key West but what ever, I doubt they are locals. One human planet. No worries. Repeal glass siegle? Fun stuff I have to wonder what all the folks off the cruise ship think about it while they have thier key lime pie on a stick and buy cheap T shirts.

March 1, 2013 at 3:36 p.m.
jesse said...

nooga, ya know it's got me thinkin and the last time i heard that word was about 1998! I was running team for shaw ind. and my co driver used that word continuously!The kicker is HE WAS BLACK!!we ran together for 2 years and had a blast! Keep you in stitches 24/7!!

March 1, 2013 at 3:42 p.m.
tifosi said...

Big Ridge Patriot wrote:

"People dislike Obama because of his policies, total lack of respect for separation of powers and the Constitution,..."

If you think this is really true then you can challenge him in a court of law. The U.S. Constitution allows the citizenry to do just that. If all the other people you know feel the same way then hire an attorney to challenge it. Otherwise, quit whining.

March 1, 2013 at 3:43 p.m.
Leaf said...

God, I hope people don't get into an argument on what day you go to church signifying whether you burn in hell or not. That's the silliest topic of conversation ever invented. Since it's religion though, I'm sure you'll find a bunch of people who want to kill the other side over it. Bunch of Lilliputians.

March 1, 2013 at 3:46 p.m.
DJHBRAINERD said...

I was gonna do a shot every time someone on tv said sequester but alchohol poisoning is real. This morning it was not going to train tgroops 4 Afganastan, can't deploy an aircraft carrier or train our pilots and the borders will be wide open and alqeada will win (fox) no headstart, vaccines, mental heath, headstart, teachers , cops, road work will stop, 90 minute wait at airport, college loans, blah blah blah (cnn, msnbc). So atleast we have a bipartison agreement that this is bad. But it is only bad for our causes and the other causes need cutting depending on your choice of cable station. See above list and pick your team! Morning Joe made me laugh when he said if we could just harness the power of the 1% that funds all these things we would be on our way to prosperity. Ha to hear them talk you would think this 1 penny on the $ funds everything in the budget. Sequester....drink!

March 1, 2013 at 3:47 p.m.
tifosi said...

Not one Republican in Washingston D.C. has challenged President Obama and the Constitutionality of what he is doing. Oh Yeah!!! Obamacare got challenged. SCOTUS sided with the President, including one conservative justice.

March 1, 2013 at 3:49 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

I was walking down Duval and there are folks down here with an impeach Obama petition.

We drove to Marathon yesterday in a rental and saw a group doing the same thing on a key between Key West and Marathon, the one with the Key Deer preserve.

March 1, 2013 at 3:49 p.m.
DJHBRAINERD said...

Yes i saw them their on my way down wayving on big pine. but the populace on big pine is similer to the pop of chattanooga so I wasn't as surprised as when I saw them here where everything goes.

March 1, 2013 at 3:55 p.m.
TirnaNOG said...

They've come out against Sheriff Hammonds, contorting his words, on the front end in an effort to discredit what else he might expose. That way, and if their strategy works, turning the citizens against Hammonds, anything he might be able to reveal later they'll be able to discredit as well.

Dumb stragedy that only works when people are gullible to fall for it.

March 1, 2013 at 3:58 p.m.
jesse said...

ike and dj rubbin it in about where they are at and what they are doin and it's startin to piss me off!

March 1, 2013 at 4:03 p.m.
mtngrl said...

Leaf said...

"God, I hope people don't get into an argument on what day you go to church signifying whether you burn in hell or not. That's the silliest topic of conversation ever invented. Since it's religion though, I'm sure you'll find a bunch of people who want to kill the other side over it. Bunch of Lilliputians."

You are exactly right. I actually heard that argument from a 7th Day Adventist years ago on why they thought the Catholic church was the anti-christ. Changing the calendar was one of the main reasons they cited. I asked them on which day did God create the calendar? How do you know the sabbath was not really a Tuesday?

Their response was just a weird blank blinking stare. I think a short circuit was involved....

March 1, 2013 at 4:07 p.m.
DJHBRAINERD said...

No worries jessie.... It is raining and only 65ish down here got a cold front moving thru so the seas are rough. Plus Duval has turned into a bunch of T shirt stores instaed of local art you can get alot of tie died stuff. On the warf a cheesburger is 14$ so it isn't all rainbows and unicorns!(pun intended)

March 1, 2013 at 4:13 p.m.
Leaf said...

Yeah, and it was darn unsporting of the Almighty to make the Earth rotate around the sun in uneven increments of days. Who knows how many leap years went uncounted since the Creation? What if the sabbath is actually Tuesday from 3:16 AM to Wed 3:15 AM? We'd all be screwed, right?

March 1, 2013 at 4:16 p.m.
jesse said...

Constantine designated Sunday as the sabbath because that's the day the SUN worshiping pagans did their thing and he fig.it would be easier to convert them if they didn't change the Holy day!!

March 1, 2013 at 4:16 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

No worries jessie.... It is raining and only 65ish down here got a cold front moving thru so the seas are rough. Plus Duval has turned into a bunch of T shirt stores instaed of local art you can get alot of tie died stuff. On the warf a cheesburger is 14$ so it isn't all rainbows and unicorns!(pun intended)

Don't be too jealous, jesse. Crappy weather here too, although I'll take this over snow. Boat has no heat, so we stay where we are for awhile.

March 1, 2013 at 4:26 p.m.
limric said...

WHAT HO Jesse Your 2:13 p.m. Post indicates….

Jesse is now feigning innocence with the new age religion dance plurality of bigotries puerile purity. 1-2 KICK TURN – 1-2 kick all arzholieoles. You Hoo……1-2 Kick turn.

AHA!

Then forcefully brings forth the green egg beast’s heat to transfix, as sirens of yore, the leaf’s post poison ivy’s effing (not to be confused with pre- poison ivy) hate of effing haters, hating bear haters ‘n’ baiters; thus denying him his Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori - the sweet and sour, the God given self-righteousness to die for your country, and Mobile & Sunoco.

Shall I be tempted? Shall I climb his stairs? And by his new religions green egg dance stance find the pavement of enlightenment? Nay. I say NAY!

I shall remain here in the mud of my psyche. With the ever obsevant Ikeithlu and MountainLaurel. Stand quietly I will, ABOVE THE FRAY, put the two women on a pedestrian and partake of cocktails.

Thus I will remain; a speculum of decorum in this whirlwind of confusion whilst Rickaroo recites poetry and serves up a healthy heaping bowl full of common sense.

BURP!

March 1, 2013 at 4:46 p.m.
jesse said...

THAT^ did two things Limric ,#1 It flabbergasted me ,which ain't easy to do!

2 left me total confused as to what i was flabbergasted about!

SO now i'm sittin here scratchin my nose and pickin my arz waitin for you to ENLIGHTIN me as to what exactly you said AND whether or not i need to git pissed off about it!! God bless ya!!

I have no idea why part of that is in bold type!!

March 1, 2013 at 4:55 p.m.
conservative said...

Hey IKe, I noticed you are starting to have an interest in sharing quotes by pastors. Very good! I am going to try and share some with you also. I will try to do so often, hopefully about every day.

The framers of our Constitution meant we were to have freedom of religion, not freedom from religion. Billy Graham

March 1, 2013 at 5:11 p.m.
jesse said...

Congratulations IKE, I think you are now on cons RADAR!! ENJOY!!

Now he's gonna split up his HARASSMENT time between you and al!!

March 1, 2013 at 5:19 p.m.
Easy123 said...

conservative,

"The framers of our Constitution meant we were to have freedom of religion, not freedom from religion. Billy Graham"

WRONG. The Founding Fathers wanted everyone to have the freedom to choose religion or irreligion. The Establishment Clause gives everyone the freedom OF and FROM religion.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/amend_1.htm

"To say that his religious principles are obnoxious or that his sect is small, is to lift the evil at once and exhibit in its naked deformity the doctrine that religious truth is to be tested by numbers. or that the major sects have a right to govern the minor."

"If Religion consist in voluntary acts of individuals, singly, or voluntarily associated, and it be proper that public functionaries, as well as their Constituents shd discharge their religious duties, let them like their Constituents, do so at their own expence. How small a contribution from each member of Congs wd suffice for the purpose? How just wd it be in its principle? How noble in its exemplary sacrifice to the genius of the Constitution; and the divine right of conscience? Why should the expence of a religious worship be allowed for the Legislature, be paid by the public, more than that for the Ex. or Judiciary branch of the Govt"

-James Madison, Detached Memoranda

http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/amendI_religions64.html

March 1, 2013 at 5:19 p.m.
limric said...

Jesse

Uh oh. My dyslexia transposed the wrong post. I meant 2:32 post meridiem. Your feigned virtue combined with leafs “How many leap years went uncounted since the Creation?” were so damn funny my head sounded like a shaken coffee can full of nuts and bolts and made me wonder why the flying saucers on my plate were shaped like eggs. And I went off………that’s all.

Hell, We’re all bozos on this bus anyway. You two are least fun. :-D

March 1, 2013 at 5:27 p.m.
limric said...

Ikeithlu,

You are Sooo done for. LOL

I believe the Arabs have proverb for what is about to happen to you, "Let a Christian through the eye of a needle and they will turn into camels."

March 1, 2013 at 5:29 p.m.
jesse said...

Your right Easy BUT that ain't what Billy Graham said and IN cons eyes BILLY BEEZ THE MAN!!

March 1, 2013 at 5:44 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

You like pastors, connie?

''I know one man who was impotent who gave AIDS to his wife and the only thing they did was kiss.''

—Pat Robertson

''If you go all the way back to the days just following creation, men lived nine hundred years or more.''

—Pat Robertson

March 1, 2013 at 5:49 p.m.
Easy123 said...

jesse,

Apparently, Billy and conservative believe everyone should be religious. I wonder what Billy and conservative think of non-Christian religions? Heck, let's just check the "Good Book"!

Deuteronomy 13 has some less than kind things to say about other religions. The phrases " You must purge the evil from among you." and "you must certainly put to the sword all who live in that town." appear in regard to non-Old Testament god religions.

I guess Billy and conservative mean everyone should be Christian, just not that Catholic kind of Christian!

March 1, 2013 at 6:04 p.m.
jesse said...

Way i look at it easy is con is a mental case wound up tighter than a $2.00 alarm clock! He's a textbook monomaniac and prob.a latent homo and it's driven him around the bend! Like Limric said about Christians and needles and camels ,if you crack the door they move in on your arz!

March 1, 2013 at 6:23 p.m.
AndrewLohr said...

Bigotry exists (repent!), but when the kind of criticism Clay peddles is directed at President Obama, it cannot be bigotry, can it? If it were, he'd a hypocrite for peddling that kind of thing himself.

When our President is criticized for reasons of policy--deficit, joblessness, broken promises, going from bad to worse--that's not bigotry. When he's criticized by people darker than he, such as Alan Keyes or Herman Cain, or by white boys who've voted for Keyes and the like, that's not bigotry. When he's called "unpatriotic," that can't be bigotry, for he used that term of President Bush's deficits, and Senator Obama wasn't a bigot, was he?

He was relected by about 20% of the US people, not "a majority."

Ike, TR, and Lincoln were left of Pres Obama?

March 1, 2013 at 6:23 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

I love this game!

Good Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions.

-Jerry Falwell

Billy Graham is the chief servant of Satan.

-Jerry Falwell

“I think the sky is blue because it’s a shift from black through purple to blue, and it has to do with where the light is. You know, the farther we get into darkness, and there’s a shifting of color of light into the blueness, and I think as you go farther and farther away from the reflected light we have from the sun or the light that’s bouncing off this earth, uh, the darker it gets. I think if you look at the color scale, you start at black, move it through purple, move it on out, it’s the shifting of color. We mentioned before about the stars singing, and that’s one of the effects of the shifting of colors.”

-Pat Robertson

March 1, 2013 at 6:24 p.m.
Easy123 said...

AndrewLohr,

"When our President is criticized for reasons of policy--deficit, joblessness, broken promises, going from bad to worse--that's not bigotry."

It could be considered bigotry because the debt is nothing new, joblessness is improving, politicians major in broken promises, and we haven't gone from bad to worse. The majority of the accusations that are heaped on the President simply are not true or they are not exclusive to this President. Why wasn't the deficit an issue when Bush 2 was President? Why weren't his lies a problem (IRAQ)? Why wasn't it a problem when things really went from bad to worse when a Republican was President? Therein lies your bigotry.

"When he's criticized by people darker than he, such as Alan Keyes or Herman Cain, or by white boys who've voted for Keyes and the like, that's not bigotry."

Yes, it is. You don't get a pass because you're African-American or because you voted for an African-American in the past. Bigotry and lies cannot be covered up with the facade of perceived "non-racism".

"When he's called "unpatriotic," that can't be bigotry, for he used that term of President Bush's deficits, and Senator Obama wasn't a bigot, was he?"

He's not called "unpatriotic". He's called anti-American, Socialist, Marxist, Communist, anti-Christian, and many other libelous remarks that do not, in any way, characterize the man or his policies.

"He was relected by about 20% of the US people, not "a majority."

He was reelected by 51% of the electorate, a majority. You don't get to redefine words simply because your side lost.

"Ike, TR, and Lincoln were left of Pres Obama?"

For their time, yes.

March 1, 2013 at 6:33 p.m.
jesse said...

Ike, this is off topic but your quote about why the sky is blue reminded me of something you might find interesting!

Clifford Stoll is an astronomer who wrote a really good book titled "The Cuckoos egg" ! When he took his oral for his Phd. the question was "Why is the sky blue"?It took him 3 hours to answer the question!(just the one??) If you come across it the book is a fascinating account of how he tracked down a computer hacker that once you start it you can't put it down!heres a link for ya ,Ike!

http://www.passionmakes.us/tag/clifford-stoll/

March 1, 2013 at 6:51 p.m.
lkeithlu said...

Thanks, jesse, I will!

March 1, 2013 at 6:54 p.m.
alprova said...

conservative wrote: "There is a reason why Christians worship on Sunday, but of course you wouldn't know that."

I am keenly aware why there are some Christian religions that worship on Sunday, but rather than to post those reasons in here, I'll direct you to a long but thorough explanation why Sunday is the incorrect seventh, or sabbath day of the week.

Saturday is the true sabbath day of the week.

http://www.the-ten-commandments.org/sabbathsundaychange.html

March 1, 2013 at 7:45 p.m.
conservative said...

alprova,

Christians know that the sabbath is the sabbath and that Sunday is Sunday, the first day of the week, but of course you wouldn't know that and you wouldn't know why Christians worship on Sunday.

Hint, you will not find the answer at non Christian websites.

Why don't you give up the charade that you are a Christian?

March 1, 2013 at 8:14 p.m.
dude_abides said...

“F*ck the Pope” ― Hunter S. Thompson, The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales from a Strange Time

am I obsessing?

March 1, 2013 at 8:28 p.m.
mosquito said...

Easy, you keep bringing up these issues of bigotry , racism etc. in many of your posts. I get the feeling that you are trying to simplify the arguments here. Not everyone holds your or my points of view but that is no reason to be haughty.

One cannot expect someone of a different age, different upbringing, different etc. to all be on the same page when it comes to these issues. My girls would just look at you funny if you mentioned these terms for they don't know what they mean at ages of 6 and 8.

You are quite correct about the run of the mill right-wingers here who slept while the Shrubs 1 and 2 and Reagan as well continued the dance that we have been engaged in for too long. It is amazing simply stupifying how I could try to tell people what our govt was involved in during the Bush years and get looks of disbelief and grumbles of hate thrown my way because of their ignorance.

Only now do they awake for the Great satan has taken over yet again for another four years!!

Folks try to pay attention.....

And for those who say we are a Christian nation, PROVE IT!! Go back as far as George Washington...certain people in certain circles tried to get him to profess this lord jesus and they never could ...But I say ..do the research and prove me wrong..

Back to my point Easy 123, just because some of us are critical of Obama or Pelosi or Reid does not make us racist. I can only speak for myself as to how I tried to tell family and friends years ago and they wouldn't listen. To be honest I don't think about racism until some on the left bring it up. You know ,the fake left the fake liberals...You are not one of these corporate whores are you??

March 1, 2013 at 8:36 p.m.
mosquito said...

and for those religious nutjobs on here who have yet to get a clue..this might be a topic of conversation..

http://www.herbert-armstrong.org/Miscellaneous/Roman%20Catholic%20and%20Protestant%20Confessions%20About%20Sunday.pdf

seems to me if I were on high ,in the sky, a supernatural kind of guy I might continue to ignore you all if you can't even get the day right..

March 1, 2013 at 9 p.m.
alprova said...

conservative wrote: "Christians know that the sabbath is the sabbath and that Sunday is Sunday, the first day of the week, but of course you wouldn't know that and you wouldn't know why Christians worship on Sunday."

Oh, but I DO know why some Christians consider the sabbath day to be Sunday. Notice that I used the word "SOME" Christians. Take your nose out of the Bible for a few minutes and read the link I provided. It WAS written by a Christian by the way...just not YOUR kind of Christian.

"Hint, you will not find the answer at non Christian websites."

Hint, you will not find justification for a Sunday sabbath in the Bible.

""Why don't you give up the charade that you are a Christian?"

Because, my pious, self-righteous foe, my relationship with God and his Son is a private matter and you don't have any say so whatsoever in it.

Type your line of judgment a million times, for all I care. It is of no consequence.

"Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 6:1)

March 1, 2013 at 10:24 p.m.
AndrewLohr said...

I wrote, "When our President is criticized for reasons of policy--deficit, joblessness, broken promises, going from bad to worse--that's not bigotry." Easy123 says criticizing our President "could be considered bigotry because the debt is nothing new"--so he gets a pass, although he's raised it faster than before? "joblessness is improving"--more slowly than in any previous postWWII recovery. And BO's shovel-ready stimulus was supposed to keep it under 8% and bring it under 6% by now. "politicians major in broken promises"--so they get a pass on that? No, let them repent or perish like any other hypocrites. "and we haven't gone from bad to worse"--oh no? Has budget balance improved or worsened? Has the percentage of Americans working improved or worsened? Has the balance of power improved or worsened? And "bad" shows that my criticism is not exactly partisan; see my ranking of all US presidents--Clinton best of the last four, once he'd divorced Hillary and married Newt: http://voices.yahoo.com/ranking-presidents-usa-7505256.html?cat=37 "The majority of the accusations that are heaped on the President simply are not true." Not simply false; there's something to most of them. I think he's a Christian, but one can find a long list of actions he's taken favorable to Muslims. I think he was born in Hawaii, but I think he hid records for political gain, and MAY still be--he may perHAPS have told schools he was born in Kenya to give himself a diversity edge, and is hiding his school records to hide this plain lie, and to hide his character as one who will say most anything semi-plausible to benefit himself.)
"or they are not exclusive to this President." So he should get a pass? Let them all straighten up.

March 1, 2013 at 11:22 p.m.
AndrewLohr said...

Easy 123: "Why wasn't the deficit an issue when Bush 2 was President?" Because the Tea Party hadn't yet arisen to spank RINOs. At least one of the big parties now has a watchdog wing.

"Why weren't his lies a problem (IRAQ)?" FWIW We found one WMD, and putting Saddam Hussein to death was legit, but I will say now, too late, I had a feeling Bush wanted the war and was pushing for it in a way I felt uneasy about. Obama replaced a Libya regime that had settled down with one that let our ambassador be murdered.

"Why wasn't it a problem when things really went from bad to worse when a Republican was President?" I didn't vote for Bush 2, but yeah, he was sort of our guy, though a fair number of Republicans have wised up a bit. Things didn't "really" go down until Pelosi became speaker in '07.

"Therein lies your bigotry." And since I'm not bigoted either racially nor partisanally, you're bearing false witness against me. Under the law of Moses, the penalty for that is to be punished as if you had committed the crime of which you falsely accused another. (Al Sharpton and Tawana Brawley should be punished as for rape.) You're the equal of a bigot, sir (or ma'am).

March 1, 2013 at 11:27 p.m.
AndrewLohr said...

Lohr: "When he's criticized by people darker than he, such as Alan Keyes or Herman Cain, or by white boys who've voted for Keyes and the like, that's not bigotry."

Easy: Yes, it is. You don't get a pass because you're African-American or because you voted for an African-American in the past. Bigotry and lies cannot be covered up with the facade of perceived "non-racism".

Lohr: How do you define bigotry? And was it bigoted for to vote for Barack Obama because he's (half) black? Kayes, Cain, and their voters don't want to put down blacks. Is Paul Krugman a bigot because he thinks Obama got too small a stimulus (or because he disagrees with Thomas Sowell, who is black)? "Criticism" can differ from "bigotry." Here's an effort at constructive, interactive, friendly-but-troubled criticism: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzrzi6...

Lohr: "When he's called "unpatriotic," that can't be bigotry, for he used that term of President Bush's deficits, and Senator Obama wasn't a bigot, was he?"

Easy: He's not called "unpatriotic". He's called anti-American, Socialist, Marxist, Communist, anti-Christian, and many other libelous remarks that do not, in any way, characterize the man or his policies.

Lohr: What's the difference between calling him "unpatriotic" and "anti-American"? Does "anti-Christian" describe some of his policies? I don't recall using any of the above, but which of the 10 planks of the Communist Manifesto has he totally repudiated? If he agrees with them, do those terms technically fit him? Same for Bush. (I don't necessarily disagree with the 10 points because Marx favored them, but because there are arguments against them.)

March 1, 2013 at 11:37 p.m.
AndrewLohr said...

Lohr: "He was relected by about 20% of the US people, not "a majority."

Easy: He was reelected by 51% of the electorate, a majority. You don't get to redefine words simply because your side lost.

L: If you read carefully, I didn't deny a majority of voters, but of US people. MountainLaurel had said a majority of citizens voted for him. Is bigotry a word?

L"Ike, TR, and Lincoln were left of Pres Obama?"
E: For their time, yes.
L: For our time, no. (In terms of calculus, their functions, f(x), were right of his, though Lincoln may have changed the country more, some but not all for the better. And Lincoln's reputation for integrity was better. I don't know that their slopes, f'(x), or trendings, f"(x), were left of his either. Let the reader understand, or not. FDR, maybe; I didn't discuss him.)

alprova: "the Bible was not written by God, but...was written and translated by...mortal and imperfect men." I'm glad to see you preaching the fundamentalist doctrine that the men who wrote and translated the Bible were mortal and imperfect (and except for the 10 commandments and "Mene mene tekel upharsin," God didn't write any of it Himself.) Since the Almighty can strike a straight blow with a crooked stick, as we say, the result is what He wanted (inerrant, allowing for whatever technicalities a given discussion may require.) When you pass the Voltaire test--get yourself crucified and rise from the dead on the 3rd day--your religion may be worth a plugged nickel. Jesus been there, done that; follow Him.

March 1, 2013 at 11:39 p.m.
alprova said...

Someone posting as AndrewLohr wrote: "I'm glad to see you preaching the fundamentalist doctrine that the men who wrote and translated the Bible were mortal and imperfect (and except for the 10 commandments and "Mene mene tekel upharsin," God didn't write any of it Himself.)"

Agreed, I think...'cept for the fundamentalist part. I hardly ever support fundy points of view.

"Since the Almighty can strike a straight blow with a crooked stick, as we say, the result is what He wanted"

Nope, the Bible has been altered many times over many eons by many people. By the way, who is "we" who say what you wrote about the "Almighty striking a blow with a crooked stick? That's a new one to me.

Do you truly believe that God interferes with a thing that occurs on Earth? It's free will all the way, every day...

"(inerrant, allowing for whatever technicalities a given discussion may require.)"

Excuse me, but the Bible is hardly inerrant. From Genesis to Revelations, the Bible is incomplete, raises more questions than are ever answered, and is full of clever metaphors.

An inerrant Bible would hold the answers to all of life's and the afterlife's mysteries. One can read the Bible from cover to cover and they will be scratching their head for years to come.

"When you pass the Voltaire test--get yourself crucified and rise from the dead on the 3rd day--your religion may be worth a plugged nickel."

Gee...by that standard, not one person's religion is worth a plugged nickel, including yours, or are you claiming to have been crucified and to have arisen from the dead on the 3rd day?

So you see...my religious and religion related beliefs are worth EXACTLY the same as yours. The Bible I have read extensively tells me that no one is more righteous than anyone else.

"Jesus been there, done that; follow Him."

That indeed is what is written in the Bible. Is it 100% accurate? Only God knows for sure, and since we have agreement that the Bible was not written by him, and there is little doubt that there are certain myths surrounding the life of Jesus, who truly knows what is true and what is not?

Not a soul on this Earth who is alive today, I assure you.

Faith does not equal fact.

March 2, 2013 at 12:53 a.m.
jjmez said...

RE: Nope, the Bible has been altered many times over many eons by many people-----

Not to mention the fact there was talk of adding Mormonism as a book in the bible, and Romney suggesting {or out right saying-I can't rightly remember}, if he got elected it would signify the way America and the world would be ruled for the next 1000 years.

If something can be added to the bible it can also be taken out of the bible. And if something is added or taken out, that's not the work of some powerful deity, but man adding and subtracting to support his beliefs and views for that time. Which makes one wonder, were the chapters of the bible actual writings reflecting how rulers rule for that time? Sort of like a how-to playbook? Maybe that's why the bible is so contradictory? One minute speaking of love they neighbor as thyself, and turn the other cheek. While in another chapter it speaks of an eye for an eye. The the book of Samuel and story of Saul just throws all that peace loving god out the window and under the bus.

March 2, 2013 at 3:16 a.m.
please login to post a comment

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.