The value of Tennessee's exports rose in 4 percent 2012 to a record $31.1 billion. The top sectors for exports last year were:
1. Medical equipment and supplies, $3.2 billion
2. Motor vehicle parts, $2.9 billion
3. Computer equipment, $2.21 billion
4. Basic chemicals, $2.16 billion
5. Resin, synthetic rubbers, artificial & synthetic fibers, $1.7 billion
Source: U.S. Department of Commerce, International Trade Administration
Dave Flessner is the business editor for the Times Free Press. A journalist for 35 years, Dave has been business editor and projects editor for the Chattanooga Times Free Press, city editor for The Chattanooga Times, business and county reporter for the Chattanooga Times, correspondent for the Lansing State Journal and Ingham County News in Michigan, staff writer for the Hastings Daily Tribune in Nebraska, and news director for WCBN-FM in Michigan. Dave, a native ...