McKenna hired as pastor
The Rev. Patrick J. McKenna, a native of Jerseyville, Ill., is now senior pastor of Mountain Creek Baptist Church, 1001 Mountain Creek Road. He began his ministry there on Sunday.
Prior to coming to Mountain Creek, McKenna served on church staffs in Nashville, Kansas, Ill., Springfield, Ill., and Chattanooga since 1989.
A 23-year veteran of youth ministry, he spent considerable time doing evangelistic singing and preaching at camps, retreats, conferences and churches.
McKenna and his wife, Janna, have four children, Julianna, 13, Landon, 10, Annelyse, 8, and Lincoln, 5.
• Poplar Springs Baptist Church, 422 Poplar Springs Road, Ringgold, Ga.; noon-3 p.m. today; fourth annual Harvest Hope offers new and used items, including Bibles, baby needs, food, men's, women's and children's clothing, dental and personal hygiene items, household paper products, tools and outdoor needs, toys and gifts, books and games, and other home furnishings (food, personal hygiene, and household necessities must be new), plus a variety of medical screenings; donations accepted 8-11 a.m. today; www.harvest-hope.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• St. Marks Church, 701 Mississippi Ave.; 1-4 p.m. today; Veritas, a cross-denomination event, features live music, speakers including Kat Cooper, Kimberly Knight, Matthew Nevels, Donnie Christopher, Carl Greene and others discussing "the equitable treatment of all citizens" of behalf of various churches, and open-mic time for sharing; 267-5530.
• Tennessee Temple University, 708 S. Orchard Knob Ave. (Room 307, Lee Roberson Center); 9:30 a.m.-noon beginning Tuesday; three-week, nine-session beginning-English class includes speaking, listening, writing, pronunciation and reading skills, plus life skills; free; 364-5976.
• Pot House (Tennessee River Gorge Trust field station), 17805 River Canyon Road; 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m. today; fall retreat of Christian environmental organization EarthCare features presentation by Paul Buchanan of Dalton, Ga., on area trees, followed by potluck lunch; free; 706-278-3979 or visit http://earthcareonline.org.
• Brainerd United Methodist Church, 4315 Brainerd Road; 6-8:30 p.m. Thursday; Covenant Keypers fundraising banquet, with the theme of "The Ultimate Marriage," features message by area pastor Alonzo Noble, soloist Maurice Gilchrist of Greater Nazarene Baptist Church, musical selections by the New Vernon Grove Baptist Church choir and meal by Tuggle's Catering; free; 451-2126 or www.covenantkeypers.org.
• LaFayette Presbyterian Church, 107 N. Main St., LaFayette, Ga.; 7 p.m. Thursday; worship through shape-note music by Sacred Harp choir from Liberty Church in Henagar, Ala., reception follows; free; 706-764-2801.
• First Church of the Nazarene, 5554 North Terrace; 7 p.m. Friday; monthly gospel concert features John Hamilton, Wanda Shirley and Jerry Hall; 893-7756 or 693-5134.
• Memorial Auditorium, 399 McCallie Ave.; 7 p.m. Friday; seven-time Grammy Award-winning Bill Gaither hosts concert featuring the Gaither Vocal Band, including Mark Lowry, Michael English, David Phelps, Wes Hampton and Gaither; 642-8497, 757-5156, www.gaither.com or www.premierproductions.com.
Clint Cooper is the faith editor and a staff writer for the Times Free Press Life section. He also has been an assistant sports editor and Metro staff writer for the newspaper. Prior to the merger between the Chattanooga Free Press and Chattanooga Times in 1999, he was sports news editor for the Chattanooga Free Press, where he was in charge of the day-to-day content of the section and the section’s design. Before becoming sports ...