published Saturday, November 2nd, 2013

Rand Theft

about Clay Bennett...

The son of a career army officer, Bennett led a nomadic life, attending ten different schools before graduating in 1980 from the University of North Alabama with degrees in Art and History. After brief stints as a staff artist at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and the Fayetteville (NC) Times, he went on to serve as the editorial cartoonist for the St. Petersburg Times (1981-1994) and The Christian Science Monitor (1997-2007), before joining the staff of the ...

79
Comments do not represent the opinions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, nor does it review every comment. Profanities, slurs and libelous remarks are prohibited. For more information you can view our Terms & Conditions and/or Ethics policy.
Jt6gR3hM said...

This is going to be a difficult thread for many of our plagiarizing Fleabaggers.

November 2, 2013 at 12:57 a.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

Don’t you think it odd that the person pushing this non-story the hardest is a person that has been caught for plagiarism several times herself? Rachel Madcow has made much of Paul’s not understanding what plagiarism is and how serious it is but not a peep out of her for her own sins.

http://rare.us/story/rachel-maddow-mocked-rand-paul-for-plagiarism-but-shes-been-accused-of-it-too/

MSNBC host Rachel Maddow created headlines this week when she alleged that Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) had plagiarized a recent speech from Wikipedia, but it turns out the liberal cable news host has been accused of plagiarism herself.

In 2010 on his blog “Open Salon,” Michael Rodgers of North Port, Fla., wrote a blog post titled “Rachel Maddow Plagiarized My Blog!”

http://open.salon.com/blog/michael_rodgers/2010/05/27/rachel_maddow_plagiarized_my_blog

“Don’t get me wrong, I love Rachel Maddow,” Rodgers wrote. “Truth be told, I’m a huge fan. So, if she wanted something from my blog, all she had to do was ask. I would have given willingly because that’s the kind of guy I am.”

The plagiarism in question involves a comparison Rodgers made between the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010 with the often-forgot about 1979 Ixtoc I oil spill in the same area.

Rodgers then became perturbed upon seeing his own unique angle being copied on Maddow’s program: “I’m sitting there Wednesday evening watching MSNBC and there is Rachel Maddow…TELLING THE SAME DAMN STORY!!”

Rodgers complained, “she stole my scoop of a lifetime and now it’s plastered all over MSNBC with Rachel getting all the credit. Granted, the segment she did Wednesday night covered more ground and was more professional than my little feature, but then she has more resources at her disposal than I do.”

http://rare.us/story/rachel-maddow-mocked-rand-paul-for-plagiarism-but-shes-been-accused-of-it-too/#sthash.kVNeFOjp.ryAOy4oJ.dpuf

November 2, 2013 at 1:15 a.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

More accounts of Rachel Maddow plagiarizing have surfaced following Rare’s Thursday evening report that the MSNBC host has been accused of plagiarism.

The report makes Maddow look hypocritical given the headlines she made earlier this week accusing Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) of lifting a movie plot summary off of Wikipedia.

In a video on YouTube, Occupy Wall Street protestor Peter Brauer points out that Rachel Maddow had previously used his footage on her show without attribution, and without asking.

“This is my footage and my interview. Any person watching at home would have thought MSNBC paid a news crew to come and shoot this in the storm. They did not,” Brauer explains.

“I earn my living making video. And I felt robbed from making my livelihood,” Brauer said.

The blog “Aksarbent” found that Maddow’s show used some of their footage, but rather than show the water mark, they zoom it in so that it is no longer on the screen.

“[A] screen cap from twelve seconds of clips from an AKSARBENT YouTube video used by The Rachel Maddow Show (at the 1:13 mark here), all of which were enlarged to hide the AKSARBENT bug at the lower right of the frame (at the 1:11 mark here.),” the blog notes.

The egregious move by Maddow to eliminate the watermark is foiled by CNN’s use of their video.

“Compare and contrast: When CNN used AKSARBENT video, it didn’t attempt to obscure our bug; in fact it added another credit showing where it got the clip,” the blog writes.

November 2, 2013 at 1:22 a.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

From New York Times:

Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., a Democratic Presidential candidate, was accused of plagiarism while in his first year at Syracuse University Law School, academic officials familiar with Mr. Biden's record said today. [....]

According to the people familiar with the record of the 44-year-old Senator from Delaware, he was called before the disciplinary body at the law school during his first year because of charges that he had committed plagiarism on a paper. Mr. Biden entered the school in 1965 and graduated in 1968.

CBS News tonight quoted an aide to Mr. Biden as saying he had been exonerated. However, an academic official said Mr. Biden had been found guilty, "threw himself on the mercy of the board" and promised not to repeat the offense. This, according to the official, persuaded the board to drop the matter and allow Mr. Biden to remain in law school.

November 2, 2013 at 1:31 a.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

From the St. Petersburg Times:

… But it was just last month that Biden appropriated an inspirational speech by British Labor leader Neil Kinnock. Kinnock told of ancestors who played football after long days underground in the mines, who recited poetry poetry and paved the way for him to become the first in his family to attend college.

When he saw a tape of Kinnock in action, Biden said Thursday, “it was a connect. I mean, I could tell how that man felt. That’s how I feel.”

So he used it - changing the names but little else - at a debate last month in Iowa. But instead of crediting Kinnock, he told the audience he thought of it on the way to the debate…

Biden acknowledged Kinnock’s language didn’t fit his family perfectly. His father was in used car sales, his grandfather was a mining engineer. But he had been told and “assumed” that other relatives had worked in the mines. And, “to make it clear,” members of his mother’s family had, indeed, been to college…

November 2, 2013 at 1:34 a.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

During the presidential campaign of Barack Obama in February 2008, Obama was accused of plagiarizing a speech by Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick, given in October 2006. Obama’s speech, given in Wisconsin, included quotations from several other speeches, which he credited to Martin Luther King Jr. and John F. Kennedy, as well as a quotation from the Declaration of Independence.

<p>PlagiarismToday.com noted that after comparing Deval’s speech with Obama’s, one could see that Obama "used many of the same quotes as well as very similar phrasing.

http://www.onlineclasses.org/resources/top-10-plagiarism-scandals-of-all-time/

November 2, 2013 at 1:38 a.m.
fairmon said...

Plagiarism is normally when a person uses the work of another for personal gain or if another person is damaged. Making a talk and using the words or a quote from another source without credit would rarely be a cause for litigation although some consider it inappropriate.

November 2, 2013 at 5:34 a.m.
conservative said...

The picture should be Mr. Anthony Provancher/alprova because he plagairized from the Wickepedia site when he tried to justify Homosexuality and sodomy.

Mr.Anthony Provancher/alprova in echoing a heathen/Atheist/unbeliever's ranting on Wickenpedia plagiarized these words regarding the writer's invention of a "Holiness Code":

"has no special traditional religious significance, and traditional Jews and Christians do not regard it as having any distinction from any other part of the Book of Leviticus."

Here word for word are the word's that alprova plagiarized from the Wickedpedia website:

"It has no special traditional religious significance, and traditional Jews and Christians do not regard it as having any distinction from any other part of the Book of Leviticus"

See any likeness?

November 2, 2013 at 7:32 a.m.
conservative said...

PLAGIARISM:

"When you rip off someone else's ideas or work and pretend it's your own, that's plagiarism."

"There's a fine line between borrowing and stealing — between plagiarism and theft — and it's often open to debate what actually constitutes an outright taking of someone's material. As Einstein once said, "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." From the Latin word for "kidnapped," when you plagiarize, you are being an intellectual thief, kidnapping someone else's ideas or words for your own purposes."

FROM VOCABULARY.COM

November 2, 2013 at 7:41 a.m.
workinjay said...

Conservative, Do you realize what you have just done by accusing Alprova of plagiarism? He will now have to say that he wrote everything on the internet. He will know that he didn't. He will know that we know he didn't. Yet, he will not be able to admit that he didn't. Not only is Alprova a pathological liar, he also suffers from narcissistic personality disorder. This disorder will not allow him to admit he's wrong. Here is a possible scenario of what his next lie will be when he responds to your post. He will say that immediately after Al Gore created the internet, he had Alprova write all the content to go on the internet. Of course this will be unbelievable because Alprova said he is only able to type 100 words per minute. There's no way he could write the whole internet at only 100 wpm. I wonder how he will lie out of that scenario. What I really won't understand though if he decides to use my scenario, is if he can write the entire internet, why couldn't he at least have a way to create a fake CPA license?

November 2, 2013 at 8:17 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

workinjay: Sorry that 5 stars is the limit. Otherwise, I would give your post 6.

November 2, 2013 at 8:36 a.m.
conservative said...

workinjay:

I have to admit ignorance on Mr. Provancher's/alprova's other claims.

I only pay attention to him when he addresses me with some of his anti Christain and ungodly rants.

Are you saying he falsely claims to be a CPA and can type 100 wpm?

How could you disprove either claim?

I was once a company clerk in the Army. 45wpm was my top.

Hey, but the pay was low. They got what they paid for.

I have always done my own taxes, would I qualify as a CPA?

November 2, 2013 at 8:38 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

<<<< Not PT

November 2, 2013 at 8:40 a.m.
alprova said...

How nice of some of you to take the focus off of today's subject, which was recent news, to take the time to escalate your personal attacks on me.

I'm honored. It's what people do when they can't refute any points with facts or truth.

Nothing I write will ever change the course of this nation. I am not a public speaker or a politician. Yet, you'd think I was, given all the attention I receive in here.

I'm quite confident that everyone, including the person who has the most posts this morning, is quite guilty of plagiarism, for she has been caught many times posting content without properly attributing the source, and continues that practice this very day.

I remind you hyenas that my name is out there. I am not hiding like a coward behind a computer screen lobbing personal attacks. No...that would be you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MposNKVdpCg

November 2, 2013 at 9:13 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

Alpy ^^^ When you can't defend, deflect.

November 2, 2013 at 9:14 a.m.
soakya said...

you can prove al is not a cpa by cpaverify. his name is not in any cpa database. the aicpa and nasba are very serious about protecting the cpa brand.

November 2, 2013 at 9:18 a.m.
workinjay said...

Soakya, You can also call the TN Board of Accountancy at 1-888-453-6150 and she can tell you if he's ever been a CPA in any state.

November 2, 2013 at 9:25 a.m.
workinjay said...

PlainTruth, That kinda looks like Buzz Lightyear.

November 2, 2013 at 9:27 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

Jay. You could be dead on it.

November 2, 2013 at 9:29 a.m.
alprova said...

Whomever you are, you really need to use your brain just a wee bit to figure out why my name is not in CPA Verify's database.

Only 36 states participate in divulging information to that website.

You're free to believe whatever you choose, based on the absence of a name in a site that holds unreliable information, by their own declaration. My life will not be affected by your disbelief.

Carry on...I've got some work to do.

November 2, 2013 at 9:36 a.m.
conservative said...

soakya:

Are you saying that if your name is not in those databases, you are not a CPA?

Mr. Provancher strikes me as a person who would insist his name be in a CPA database if it was somehow omitted.

November 2, 2013 at 9:43 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

Who you trying to kid, Alpo? With that massive need to be seen ego of yours, that license would be plastered all over this forum if you had one.

November 2, 2013 at 9:45 a.m.

Hitler defended his attempts to exterminate the Jews by recounting the systematic extermination of Native Americans by the United States. By the logic displayed above, that removes the onus from Hitler and proves the United States had no right to stop him.

What is perhaps most amusing to me is that the former monicker of one of the previous commenters matches the type of logical fallacy presented in the arguments: Tu Quoque. And, based off the unrelated attacks on alprova's career, we should expect your next handle to be Ad Hominem, right?

November 2, 2013 at 9:51 a.m.
conservative said...

Soakya:

I'm guessing that if you live in Georgia and do business in Georgia then your name would appear in a database you have mentioned.

Who would not insist that his name appear there? Seems to me recognition as a CPA would have to be good for business.

November 2, 2013 at 9:56 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

Soak: It's all a scam, powered by a disturbed ego. The man ain't right.

November 2, 2013 at 10:02 a.m.
workinjay said...

PlainTruth, Here's 6 stars to your post too. If he was a CPA, his license number would be his screen name.

His last post has to be his most desperate attempt yet to prove his lie. It's almost pitiful.

November 2, 2013 at 10:10 a.m.
soakya said...

al, if I not mistaken months ago I believe you said you were licensed in TN. yes conservative if your name is not there you are not a CPA.

November 2, 2013 at 10:12 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

<<<< about time to take another few weeks off to pout.

November 2, 2013 at 10:14 a.m.
soakya said...

"For the record, I am not currently licensed in Tennessee, nor anywhere in the South" alprova

I see you put cpa back up as one of your occupations. If I'm not mistaken if you are not licensed in GA you cannot use the credential in GA. I will double check with the GA state board of accountancy Monday.

November 2, 2013 at 10:20 a.m.
fairmon said...

Am I plagiarizing when I say:

IF you have one of those healthcare plans that don't meet the requirements and you like it you can keep it.

IF you like the plan you have it will be grandfathered and you can keep it.

This I can guarantee, IF you like your health care insurance and you like your doctor you can keep them.

IF you are one of the 250 million people with healthcare insurance and you like it you can keep it.

IF you like the healthcare plan you have and you like it and if you like the doctor you have now you can keep them....PERIOD.

Have I misspoken, misled, lied said things out of ignorance? I expect to not be held any more accountable than any politician guilty of the same thing.

November 2, 2013 at 10:33 a.m.
jesse said...

Al IS A C.P. A.!

And I AM a retired NAVY SEAL! AND I AM the dude that SMOKED Osama'a ass!!

My part time job now that i'm retired is "Advisor to Obama on how to get the ACA up and running!!"

November 2, 2013 at 10:35 a.m.
alprova said...

"al, if I not mistaken months ago I believe you said you were licensed in TN. yes conservative if your name is not there you are not a CPA."

I have never divulged which state I asm licensed in. I merely offered the information that in Tennessee, firm names are listed.

Folks, all this attention is flattering as hell, and it tells me one thing. I am doing a fine job of pissing some of you off.

Each and every one of you hyenas are hell at attacking your opponents, but you can't refute the facts or truth.

You can keep making all this a personal issue, if that's all you have, but the truth and the facts will stand unrefuted.

November 2, 2013 at 10:38 a.m.
alprova said...

"I see you put cpa back up as one of your occupations. If I'm not mistaken if you are not licensed in GA you cannot use the credential in GA. I will double check with the GA state board of accountancy Monday."

Knock yourself out.

November 2, 2013 at 10:42 a.m.
fairmon said...

Why should anyone care if alprova is a CPA or not. CPA's are a dime a dozen, the title is no longer prestigious or envied and often suggest to some that mistrust would be appropriate. CPA's are notoriously bad business managers. Putting CPA's or recently graduating MBA's in high level management positions has been the down fall of many successful businesses.

alprovas's post here are no more or less valid whether he is a CPA or not. Attack or disagree with opinions but nothing is gained with personal attacks by or on anyone.

November 2, 2013 at 10:45 a.m.
fairmon said...

jesse said...

My part time job now that i'm retired is "Advisor to Obama on how to get the ACA up and running!!"

I will have to say you are doing a hell of a good job if you are against it. You could be credited with destroying his legacy and his library theme.

November 2, 2013 at 10:51 a.m.
PlainTruth said...

But fairmon, blasting alpo is fun. and he enjoys the attention. sheesh.

November 2, 2013 at 10:59 a.m.
soakya said...

if cpa's are a dime a dozen and the credential is useless why would someone claim to be one if he were not. apparently al thought it was prestigious and envied or he would not claim to be one.

calling someone out for deceit is not a personal attack and if it is the fault lies with the deceiver not those who call him out.

November 2, 2013 at 11:18 a.m.
soakya said...

well according to recent nasba released report 100,000 candidates' have taken one or more sections of the exams since 2004 with only about 20,000 passing all 4 sections. so at least 100,000 thought it was a credential worth obtaining.

November 2, 2013 at 11:34 a.m.
Rickaroo said...

It's interesting to see the non-stop derogatory comments from guys like PT and the con-man. You guys, and several others like you, obviously have nothing better to do with your time than hang out in this forum, sitting on your lazy asses from the moment you get up 'til you go to bed at night, every day of the week. I don't care if you are completely wheelchair bound, there has got to be other and better things you can do with your time than stay glued to this forum, posting your snide, vitriolic comments day in and day out. You guys have turned this into your own little wing-nut chat-room and I have found that the fetid atmosphere is too much to bear. I dare not spend too much time in here lest I choke from the stench of your toxic offerings. There are a few, alprova among them, who post sane, intelligent comments, but you guys seem to dominate with your rabid rightwing/fundamentalist/teabagger nonsense. Congratulations, guys, you own this place. You have turned it into your own little bastion of right wing lunacy. A loser's paradise. And just think, it all started from the pen of a liberal cartoonist whose every drawing you live to denounce. You ought to thank Clay Bennett, not mock him. It appears that he has given you your only reason to get out of bed in the morning.

November 2, 2013 at 12:03 p.m.
inquiringmind said...

You are griping about Rachael Madow but this is what the Senator from Canada says about the comments of his Cuban pastor(born-again Baptist) dad:

"'I love my father," Cruz said Friday. "He is a pastor. He is a man of deep integrity. And he made a joke."'"

What he said is Obama should go back to Chicago, or Kenya. So lets label that a "racist joke," and paint them both with it, but after all, what is a good old pastor boy and his son to do but call it like he sees it? Aw shucks ma'am, he didn't hurt anybody.

November 2, 2013 at 12:34 p.m.
jesse said...

RACIST is a word that is OVERUSED by a factor of 10!

While the "JOKE" may have been in somewhat bad taste i see nothing RACIST about it!

November 2, 2013 at 12:44 p.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

alprova said...

I'm quite confident that everyone, including the person who has the most posts this morning, is quite guilty of plagiarism, for she has been caught many times posting content without properly attributing the source, and continues that practice this very day.

If you got it then post it. I know that you won’t as this is just your usual M.O. where you post a lie and when called on it you just move on to the next lie.

November 2, 2013 at 1:35 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Hey RickyRooRoo: Don't call me a winger. I'm a moderate independent.

November 2, 2013 at 1:55 p.m.
prairie_dog said...

And this is worse than a Democrat telling outright lies?

Interesting subject for a guy who draws (pun intended) all his inspiration from things done by other people.

November 2, 2013 at 2:09 p.m.
Jt6gR3hM said...

somethingorother said...

Hitler defended his attempts to exterminate the Jews by recounting the systematic extermination of Native Americans by the United States. By the logic displayed above, that removes the onus from Hitler and proves the United States had no right to stop him.

Obviously you have a short in your logic circuits and a failure of you proportionality controls. Placing an event in its historical context is not in any way the defense of its ethics especially when Fleabaggers are about to go off on one of their patented hypocritical rants. It seems to have had the effect that was intended.

What is perhaps most amusing to me is that the former monicker of one of the previous commenters matches the type of logical fallacy presented in the arguments: Tu Quoque. And, based off the unrelated attacks on alprova's career, we should expect your next handle to be Ad Hominem, right?

Once again you statement here is a result of your shorted logic circuits.

Oddly enough the below is from Wiki:

Tu quoque refers to a claim that the source making the argument has spoken or acted in a way inconsistent with the argument.

This doesn’t apply as alprova had at the time taken no argumentative position on the subject of the toon or in fact any subject.

Ad hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument.

Ditto

You’re simply being “too clever by half” in that you have misinterpreted common “ridiculing” of a web site blow-hard as something you wish to incorrectly make more complex to feed your need for an ego boost.

November 2, 2013 at 3:20 p.m.
fairmon said...

inquiringmind said... What he said is Obama should go back to Chicago, or Kenya.

That isn't a racist comment regardless of who makes it but especially coming from a member of a minority group. A lot of people share that sentiment and it has nothing to with his race.

November 2, 2013 at 3:38 p.m.
fairmon said...

PlainTruth said...

But fairmon, blasting alpo is fun. and he enjoys the attention. sheesh.

You're right of course, I forget he was probably a nerd growing up, a wannabe athlete and woman magnet but instead he was quiet, bashful and unknown. He may have been an unwanted unloved kid, one of several siblings so again getting no attention.

November 2, 2013 at 3:51 p.m.
anniebelle said...

Go back to Kenya President Barack Obama was born August 4, 1961 at Kapi’olani Hospital in Honolulu Hawaii. His mother was raised Christian, and his father was raised Muslim but left Islam as a young man. Barack was raised in a Christian family, & joined the Christian church as an adult. He has never been a Muslim or lived in Kenya. So what's the "go back to" little racial slur? You are all pathetic racists and don't have the smarts to know it.

November 2, 2013 at 3:54 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

antibelle: Who is "You are all pathetic racists"?

November 2, 2013 at 4:20 p.m.

"The tu quoque fallacy is committed when it is assumed that because someone else has done a thing there is nothing wrong with doing it. This fallacy is classically committed by children who, when told off, respond with “So and so did it too”, with the implied conclusion that there is nothing wrong with doing whatever it is that they have done. This is a fallacy because it could be that both children are in the wrong, and because, as we were all taught, two wrongs don’t make a right. Example

(1) The Romans kept slaves. Therefore:

(2) We can keep slaves too." http://www.logicalfallacies.info/presumption/tu-quoque/

"Description of Ad Hominem

Translated from Latin to English, "Ad Hominem" means "against the man" or "against the person."

An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument. Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First, an attack against the character of person making the claim, her circumstances, or her actions is made (or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of "argument" has the following form:

Person A makes claim X.
Person B makes an attack on person A.
Therefore A's claim is false.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem.html

I missed that this was a preemptive strike against alprova, who had made no previous post in this thread, so the ad hominem fallacy was not as specific as was perhaps necessary. The information about alprova's career was meant to poison the well. Shall I provide you with a more accurate link than wikipedia? I post once in a great while. If I needed an ego boost from the likes of this forum, I might post as often as, say, Jt6gR3hM, and I might change my screen name as often as well.

Hitler used the logic that since the US had also committed genocide, that the US could not in good faith condemn him. Your very first argument pointed the finger at Rachel Maddow, suggesting that she should not be able to condemn Mr. Paul's actions because of similar indiscretions.

Jt6gR3hM said "You’re simply being “too clever by half” in that you have misinterpreted common “ridiculing” of a web site blow-hard as something you wish to incorrectly make more complex to feed your need for an ego boost."

I post once in a great while. If I needed an ego boost from the likes of this forum, I might post as often as, say, Jt6gR3hM, and I might change my screen name as often as well.

And I am now finished feeding the troll.

November 2, 2013 at 4:32 p.m.
anniebelle said...

PL -- all means those of you, and you know who they are, that constantly make up racist stories out of whole cloth to demean this president. Claim he's not American, show him with African gear and rings in his nose, etc. etc. Don't try to act ignorant of the hateful, spiteful, racial slurs toward President Obama and his entire family. You can play that game with your white supremacist friends, but not out here in public. Youclaim that was not a racist remark made by that idiot father of the younger idiot, Ted. You're a special kind of stupid.

November 2, 2013 at 4:51 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Belle: Who the hell are you calling out?

November 2, 2013 at 5 p.m.
alprova said...

Fairmon wrote: "You're right of course, I forget he was probably a nerd growing up, a wannabe athlete and woman magnet but instead he was quiet, bashful and unknown. He may have been an unwanted unloved kid, one of several siblings so again getting no attention."

I'm disappointed to see you join in on the fun of making me today's subject. I thought of you as one of the few adults in the forum. I guess I was wrong.

Your entire list is hogwash.

I was on the High School wrestling team, was hardly a nerd, but had good grades, was a bit of class clown, I married my High School sweetheart, and was raised in a very loving family and am the oldest of four siblings.

Popular kids grow up to become obnoxious adults. Who needs that?

November 2, 2013 at 5:11 p.m.
alprova said...

pt wrote: "Hey RickyRooRoo: Don't call me a winger. I'm a moderate independent."

There is nothing moderate about you.

November 2, 2013 at 5:12 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Alps. Totally moderate. Compared to you statist, Obama cultists.

November 2, 2013 at 5:16 p.m.
inquiringmind said...

Jesse, fairmon, do pigs fly? Do we call up down? The comment is unavoidably racist and xenophobic. To argue there is no racist and derogatory intent is really quite telling.

The only folks making a big deal about President Obama's race are the far right conservative wing of the electorate located predominately in the southern US.

Furthermore, unfortunately you missed the main point. The fellow (papa Cruz) puts himself forward as a Christian pastor, which the Senator endorses, yet everything about his comment(slur) runs counter to Christian theology and compassion. If the President is an alien, pastor cruz ought to be inviting him home for dinner and fight with him for the seat at the low end of the table. Unless, I guess, you/he think the President is the Anti-Christ...or something.

And btw, are you telling us the Senator from Canada or his papa is in a minority group??

November 2, 2013 at 5:16 p.m.
jesse said...

I guess when "Doonesbury "portrayed Dubwa w/ empty air under a cowboy hat that was RACIST too!

The careless slinging around of the RACIST label is as ignorant as it gets!IMO!

November 2, 2013 at 5:25 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

The Left has jacked the word "racist". It is #1 on their talking points.

November 2, 2013 at 5:33 p.m.
fairmon said...

alprova said...

I was on the High School wrestling team, was hardly a nerd, but had good grades, was a bit of class clown, I married my High School sweetheart, and was raised in a very loving family and am the oldest of four siblings.

I do apologize I was guessing for sure and I admit I guessed wrong. I really don't care if you are a CPA or not. I do and will stick to attacking the opinion not the person.

November 2, 2013 at 6:29 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Alpo, I, too apologize for all negative comments. Even tho they're all true.

November 2, 2013 at 6:44 p.m.
fairmon said...

IM said....

And btw, are you telling us the Senator from Canada or his papa is in a minority group??

I think the dad is Cuban but I don't know nor do I care. I don't know either of them and I don't know the president. I think the president has little to no leadership skills and his experiences are limited. I think the media is quick to coin a new politically incorrect word just to stir the pot and create news. Your contention that saying the president should go back to Chicago or Kenya because of the way he is performing the duties of the office is racist is simply a distraction from the point that the man is incompetent and a poor leader. No doubt a number of people do not like him or his having the position simply due to his race but the comment by Cruz senior doesn't put Cruz senior in that category.

BTW..I helped elect him so I am not the sharpest pencil in the box either. At least I recognize I'm not.

November 2, 2013 at 6:54 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Race has nothing to do with for 99% of the dissenters. But it fits the Left's narrative.

November 2, 2013 at 7:05 p.m.
alprova said...

pt wrote: "Alps. Totally moderate. Compared to you statist, Obama cultists."

Then you Sir have no idea where the middle is.

November 2, 2013 at 7:44 p.m.
alprova said...

Fairmon wrote: "I do apologize I was guessing for sure and I admit I guessed wrong. I really don't care if you are a CPA or not. I do and will stick to attacking the opinion not the person."

I'm failing to understand why ANYONE cares what I do for a living.

I DO UNDERSTAND why some are attacking me. It's because they can't find a way to deal with facts and provable truths, so they get personal when they cannot find a way to make their points.

I've been around in public forums for most of the last two decades, so my skin is an inch thick.

I've always enjoyed our conversations, because normally, you offer a healthy, non-personal debate. We all slip sometimes and forget our manners, so your apology is accepted and there are no hard feelings.

pt wrote: "Alpo, I, too apologize for all negative comments. Even tho they're all true."

Don't bother apologizing. It will not be accepted. You're nothing but a common troll with no life, who spends every waking moment reading for something to select for your next snarky comment. You're no different than the #1 troll, whom I totally ignore these days. You're displays of assholishness are just shorter.

November 2, 2013 at 7:55 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Alpo: I mortified and appalled.

November 2, 2013 at 8:20 p.m.
alprova said...

Mr. Bennett, it appears that Rand Paul is neither admired or feared any longer, since there have been almost no comments about the man today.

He seems to have spent all of what little political capital he has had.

He'll be as popular as his Papa was, and thought of just as kooky.

Personally, although I don't care for the man at all, I thought his speech that included the "Gattaca" DNA reference fell short of any act of plagiarism, even if the sentence he spoke was closely worded to what someone else wrote on Wikipedia.

Wikipedia does not claim copy-write protection on any entry offered and it is licensed under creative commons, and the disclaimer appears all over the site that anything there for use by the entire world, just as Paul claimed.

His only mistake, and it was a very minor one, was to not mention Wikipedia as well as Gallataca when referring to the plot. He is correct to state that people were making a mountain out of a molehill.

When one is speaking, it is more difficult to offer proper attributions than it is when one writes.

November 2, 2013 at 8:21 p.m.
alprova said...

pt wrote: "Alpo: I mortified and appalled."

I'm sure that is totally untrue, because you never take the time to read what you write about others on a consistent basis. If what I just wrote is not the case, then you are fully aware of what you write and are just a sphincter muscle surrounding a large void -- thus a man with no life, no one to relate to, and this forum is your life.

That Sir, would then make you an extremely pathetic 16 hour a day, participant in this forum.

Take a bow, for no one but yourself has amassed such a record and it's all in the archives.

November 2, 2013 at 8:28 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Well, pal. You're the one with the compulsion to be heard. You live in an alternate world where your blather trumps reality. I don't think you're well, amigo.

November 2, 2013 at 8:40 p.m.
alprova said...

pt wrote: "Well, pal. You're the one with the compulsion to be heard."

When have you ever "heard" me say a thing?

"You live in an alternate world where your blather trumps reality."

Perhaps your reality, but that's about it.

"I don't think you're well, amigo."

Contrary to your assertion, and outside of my health concerns, I am doing just fine. I'm happy, have many people in my life who love me, and I have many purposes for seeking to live my life to the fullest.

November 2, 2013 at 9:01 p.m.
alprova said...

Anyone remember the former Governor of Florida, Charlie Crist?

He ran against Marco Rubio for Senator in 2010, rather than to seek a second term as Governor.

The Republican Party dumped the man overboard because he sided with President Obama on the stimulus package of 2009.

Charlie Crist made the leap to the Democrat Party and has announced his candidacy to run against Rick Scott for Governor of Florida.

Currently, a recent Quinnipiac poll has him at 50% to Rick Scott's 34%.

Floridians were asked if they believe that Rick Scott deserves a second term, to which only 32% stated that he did. Additionally, only 36% stated that Rick Scott was doing a good job as Governor.

I've predicted that there would be several party jumps by Republicans to the Democrat Party next year.

This is just one, so far, but I'm sure some of you really hate it when I am right (pun intended).

November 2, 2013 at 9:11 p.m.
alprova said...

Jason Thigpen, State of North Carolina House candidate announced his defection of the Republican Party October 28, 2013.

“I simply cannot stand with a Party where its most extreme element promote hate and division amongst people. Nothing about my platform has, nor will it change. The government shutdown was simply the straw that broke the camels back. I guess being an American just isn’t good enough anymore… I refuse to be part of an extremist movement in the GOP that only appears to thrive on fear and hate mongering of anyone and everyone who doesn’t walk their line.”

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/11/02/jason-thigpen-gop-switch/

Judge Carlo Key emerged from the Bexar County Courthouse on October 22, 2013, with Democratic members of Congress and legislators from the Texas House and Senate, to announce his decision to jump from the Republican Party to become a Democrat.

"I cannot tolerate a political party in which hate speech elevates a candidate to higher office rather than disqualifying them. I cannot be a member of party that is proud to destroy the financial lives of hundreds of thousands of federal employees in a vain attempt to repeal a law that provides health care to millions of Americans across the country."

http://keranews.org/post/republican-judge-carlo-key-switches-democratic-party

November 2, 2013 at 9:27 p.m.
alprova said...

Who Will Be The Next House Republican To Jump Off Their Sinking Ship?

"The retirement pressure is on for Republicans, as this week Arkansas Congressman Tim Griffin became the 13th Republican to abandon the party’s sinking ship -- who will be the next Congressman to get out, instead of sticking around to defend this reckless Republican Congress? (To date, no House Democrats have retired.)"

http://dccc.org/blog/entry/who_will_be_the_next_house_republican_to_jump_off_their_sinking_ship/

November 2, 2013 at 9:31 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Way out on a limb there Alpo. Crist was a known defector a rear or more. Good riddance to the pompous tan boy.

November 2, 2013 at 9:32 p.m.
alprova said...

pt wrote: "Good riddance to the pompous tan boy."

Why would a "moderate independent" type such a thing?

November 2, 2013 at 9:41 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Because no one likes a traitor. You think Crist has principles?

November 2, 2013 at 9:44 p.m.
alprova said...

PT wrote: "You think Crist has principles?"

You bet, and apparently, so do many Floridians as well.

November 2, 2013 at 10:08 p.m.
PlainTruth said...

Funny

November 2, 2013 at 10:19 p.m.
nurseforjustice said...

Conservative,

You are a very dissappointing person. You claim to be a christian yet you defame Al at every opportunity. I usually do not side with Al on anything but we can have discussions without getting at each others throat. Stating his name on an annonymous thread is just wrong. (I don't know if he minds but I would mind if it were me).

And Al has admitted being wrong before, I just can't remember what it was about because it does not matter.

This section is about opinions and should include whatever the subject of the cartoon is, or another accepted issue.

You Conservative should REPENT and ask for forgiveness. Not only from God but from Al as well.

November 2, 2013 at 10:54 p.m.
alprova said...

Wow!! Just when I thought my efforts and efforts to try to remain pleasant were simply not appreciated.

Thank you Nurse for demonstrating what Christianity is all about.

I do not claim to be an authoritarian on the Bible, but I have raised some discussion points about what is contained in the Bible, and where you and I could probably fill a book with civil discourse, efforts to do that with conservative have failed to produce ONE such discussion.

I have always had the utmost respect for you and have always enjoyed reading your points of view on ANYTHING, because you walk the walk and are what you claim to be.

I'm sorry you aren't a regular anymore, but I thank you for popping in today to leave that post.

I know that there are some who would question my claim of Christianity, but the simple fact is that I am not a conventional Christian. I sin every single day, ask the Lord's forgiveness for them, and strive to self-improve every single day.

I read the Bible regularly and at all times, consider the context of that which is written, to get a better and complete understanding of what is written and how it may apply to my life.

Are my assessments always spot-on? Of course not. No one...and I do mean no one, has a complete understanding of the Bible. But one thing is for sure, the Bible was written by humans, the same as you and I, all with sins, opinions, and faults of their own.

To take every single word literally, is to never use one's brain to reason, to think, to sort through what is written to find the true meaning of each passage.

November 2, 2013 at 11:55 p.m.
please login to post a comment

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.