Toy gun causes scare at school
DALTON, Ga. — A Blue Ridge Elementary School student caused a scare Thursday when he told teachers about seeing two other boys admiring a gun in the bathroom.
According to a Dalton Police Department news release, the student could not tell school administrators whether the gun was real or a toy, but he did remember the gun was white.
After school and police officials did a quick search, the gun was found and confirmed to be a toy.
School officials reportedly are not pursuing any charges.
Missing man found in park
SCOTTSBORO, Ala. — Searchers have found a Tennessee man who went missing at The Walls of Jericho state park in Northeast Alabama.
Jackson County authorities said 71-year-old Mack Arthur Orick, of Knoxville, was located Thursday afternoon.
He was being taken to a hospital with what reports described as minor injuries.
Relatives contacted authorities Wednesday night saying the man wasn't at home after a hike. Rescuers found the man's vehicle about 10 p.m.
The park about 25 miles northwest of Scottsboro is known for its 200-foot-high cliffs.
Rock slide repair work nearly done
TULLAHOMA, Tenn. — Transportation officials said repairs to Tennessee Route 16 on Keith Springs Mountain in Franklin County should be complete in a few weeks.
The highway, which carries about 800 vehicles a day, was heavily damaged by a rock slide near mile 18 in March and was closed until May.
Tennessee Department of Transportation spokeswoman Jennifer Flynn told the Tullahoma News that the $2.7 million project was on schedule to be completed in less than two months.
Flynn said TDOT knew there was potential for a rockslide and had begun work in December 2012.
The rock slide happened while work was ongoing.
Buyers warned of bad kerosene
RINGGOLD, Ga. — Kerosene sold at a market in Ringgold should not be used because it could explode, according to a warning from Georgia Agriculture Commissioner Gary W. Black.
The warning targets consumers who bought kerosene on or after Nov. 7 from the MAPCO Mart at 616 W. Nashville St. in Ringgold, and said they should not put the fuel in their kerosene heaters or lamps. The warning also includes kerosene bought at the Circle K No. 6701 at 3010 Buena Vista Road in Columbus, Ga., according to Black.
The kerosene may be contaminated with gasoline and has the potential to cause an explosion or fire if used in home heaters or lamps.
To date, no other stores are involved, official said. State Department of Agriculture Fuel & Measures Division inspectors discovered the contaminants during a routine inspection at the stores.
The pumps have been closed and posted with "stop sale" notices until tanks and lines have been cleaned and replacement kerosene has been tested and approved by the state.
Consumers who bought kerosene at either store on Nov. 7 or afterward should return the fuel to the store for a refund.
Other National Articles
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress