• Name: Reading with Passion
• Owner: Sophia Campbell
• Location: 118 Lee Parkway, Suite 160, Chattanooga
• Opened: Oct. 30
• Service: One-on-one reading tutoring
• Price: $20 per student per hour
• Staff: 1
• How it got started: After 16 years as a teacher, Sophia Campbell realized that some students were falling through the cracks, especially when it came to reading skills. Campbell's tutoring service will cater to as many as 50 students with non-traditional learning styles, in one-on-one sessions. Campbell said she initially struggled in school because of her learning style, so she wants to help children who are going through similar situations. "This is my passion because it was so key to me," she said."If you can understand reading it can open up so many other things."
• Initial investment: $3,000
• Why Chattanooga: Campbell moved from Georgia to Chattanooga in May to be close to her mom, and graduated with a master's degree in literary education from Southern Adventist University. The move pushed her to start the Reading with Passion, which has been a life-long dream.
• Phone number: 303-746-2229
Compiled by Shelly Bradbury, who may be reached at 757-6525 or at email@example.com.
Shelly Bradbury covers police and crime in Chattanooga and Hamilton County for the Times Free Press. She's been with the paper since 2012, working first as an intern and then as a business reporter. She is from Houghton, New York, and graduated from Huntington University in Huntington, Indiana, with a bachelor’s degree in journalism and minor in management. Before moving to Tennessee, Shelly previously interned with The Goshen News, The Sandusky Register and The Mint ...