Events and seminars
• North Chattanooga Council Meeting from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday at The INCubator: 100 Cherokee Blvd. A speaker will talk from the Chattanooga Parking Authority. Meetings cost $10.
• AM Networking at The Terrace at Mountain Creek from 8 to 9 a.m. Wednesday at The Terrace at Mountain Creek: 1005 Mountain Creek Road. Held the first Wednesday of every month, AM Networking brings an average of more than 60 area businesspeople together for an hour of networking and refreshments. For more information, contact Whitney Risley at 423-763-4375 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• An Hour with My Attorney from 11 a.m. to noon Wednesday at The INCubator: 100 Cherokee Blvd. The seminar will explore leases, contracts, powers of attorney, corporate meetings and other topics of interest. Hosted by the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, this service is free to the public. Call 423-756-8668 for more information or to register.
• Downtown Council Meeting from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. Thursday at the Sheraton Read House Hotel: 827 Broad St. A panel on health care reform will talk about the new Affordable Care Act, including Chris Crevasse, an atttorney with Miller & Martin; Roy Vaughn, vice president for BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee; Kevin Spiegel, president of Erlanger hospital; and Russ Blakely, an insurance broker with Russ Blakely & Associates. Meetings cost $15.
• Southside Council Meeting at noon Thursday at the South Chattanooga Recreation Center: 1151 W. 40th St. Donna Williams with the city's mayor's office will speak. Meetings cost $10.
• After Hours hosted by Downtown, midTown, East Brainerd and East Ridge councils from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the Kitchen at Union Square: 200 W. Martin Luther King Blvd. The event is free and open to the public. Hors d'oeuvres will be provided and a cash bar will be available.
• Small Business Orientation from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Thursday at The INCubator: 100 Cherokee Blvd. The counselor discusses basic business planning including financial projections and legal entity. Attendees will receive an information packet with information about business licenses, taxes and other start-up materials. Hosted by the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, this event is free and open to the public. Call 423-756-8668 for more information and to register.
• Affordable Care Act Workshop from 11 a.m. to noon Friday at The INCubator: 100 Cherokee Blvd. This workshop is targeted toward business owners who want to know how this new legislation will affect their companies. Attendees will explore provisions of health care reform and the Affordable Care Act as they relate to the costs and role of the business owner. Hosted by the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, this event is free and open to the public. Call 423-756-8668 to register.
Dave Flessner is the business editor for the Times Free Press. A journalist for 35 years, Dave has been business editor and projects editor for the Chattanooga Times Free Press, city editor for The Chattanooga Times, business and county reporter for the Chattanooga Times, correspondent for the Lansing State Journal and Ingham County News in Michigan, staff writer for the Hastings Daily Tribune in Nebraska, and news director for WCBN-FM in Michigan. Dave, a native ...