• Faith Connection Church, 6857 Mountain View Road, Ooltewah; 10:30 a.m. Sundays, Dec. 1-22; Christmas Around the World services; free; 933-6986 or www.faithconnectionchurch.com.
• First Christian Church, 650 McCallie Ave.; 1:30-4 p.m. Sunday; craft-making Advent workshop (follows 10:45 a.m. service and $5 full meal); free; 267-4506 or Firstchristian-chat.com.
• Falling Water Baptist Church, 523 Roberts Mill Road, Hixson; 6:30 p.m. Sunday; Hanging of the Green service; 842-5924.
• Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, 822 Belvoir Ave.; 6:30 p.m. Wednesday; Music in Advent series features performance by Chattanooga Girls Choir; 629-4661; also, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 11, performance by Jericho Brass.
• Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 14950 Rhea County Highway North, Evensville, Tenn.; 7 p.m. Wednesdays, Dec. 4-18; Advent services; 775-4253.
• First Church of the Nazarene, 5455 North Terrace; 6:30 p.m. Friday; "A Christmas Celebration" features guest soloist Dana Russell, chalk artist Kathleen Young and host choir (refreshments follow); 893-7756.
• Downtown Chickamauga, Ga.; 3-6 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7; Chickamauga Christmas Celebration features live Nativity, animal petting zoo, live music, family picture booth, gift-wrapping booth, merchant deals, gingerbread man decorating and parade sponsored by Oakwood Baptist Church, Downtown Chickamauga Merchants Association and city of Chickamauga; free admission; 706-375-5760 or www.facebook.com/ChickamaugaChristmasCelebration.
• Tyner United Methodist Church, 6805 Standifer Gap Road; 6-8 p.m. (live Nativity), 6 and 7 p.m. (handbells music), 6:15 and 7:15 p.m. (choir mini-concert) Saturday, Dec. 7, and Sunday, Dec. 8; 892-0444.
• Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, 822 Belvoir Ave.; 3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 8; "The Many Moods of Christmas" concert features four-churches choir, orchestra and organ (reception follows); free but freewill offering taken; 629-4661.
• Keith Memorial United Methodist Church, 600 W. Madison Ave., Athens, Tenn.; 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 12; Christmas With the Metropolitan Bells concert; free but donations accepted; 899-3543, 535-3076 or 504-4679; also, at Christ United Methodist Church, 8645 East Brainerd Road, 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 17, and Brainerd Baptist Church, 300 Brookfield Ave., 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 19.
• Chattanooga First Seventh-day Adventist Church, 7450 Standifer Gap Road; 3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 15; fifth annual "Messiah" Community Sing-Along, with open choral rehearsals 7 p.m. Dec. 10 and 6 p.m. Dec. 14; free but offering benefits local charities; 605-2468.
• New Monumental Baptist Church, 901 Woodmore Lane; 6 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7; presentation of "The Way We Used To Have Church," written by pastor emeritus V.J. Caldwell (reception follows); free; 629-6106.
• Hamilton County Baptist Association, 6625 Lee Highway (chapel); 1:30-3:30 p.m. Tuesday; annual tax seminar for church workers and volunteers led by Tennessee Baptist Convention CPA Deborah Taylor; free and continuing education credits available; 267-3794.
• Benedictine Sisters Retreat Center, 916 Convent Road N.E., Cullman, Ala.; 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. CST Wednesday; Advent Day of Reflection Day led by Sister Kathleen Gallas; 40-hour, Tuesday-Thursday retreat also available; $30, including lunch, for one day retreat, or $130, including meals and lodging, for three-day retreat; pre-registration required; 256-734-8302 or email email@example.com.
• Philadelphia Baptist Church, 1065 Pine Grove Road, Ringgold, Ga.; 6:30 p.m. Friday; weekly singing features Mercy's Harbor and The Hickeys; 423-488-6031.
• Red Bank Presbyterian Church, 4320 Dayton Blvd.; 2-4 p.m. Sunday; retirement reception honoring the Rev. Everett Gossett; 877-3414.
• New Zion Baptist Church, 809 M.L. King Blvd.; 10:30 a.m. Friday (registration, 10 a.m.); Church Women United Christmas program (attendees asked to bring socks and other gifts for Chattanooga Community Kitchen clients).
Clint Cooper is the faith editor and a staff writer for the Times Free Press Life section. He also has been an assistant sports editor and Metro staff writer for the newspaper. Prior to the merger between the Chattanooga Free Press and Chattanooga Times in 1999, he was sports news editor for the Chattanooga Free Press, where he was in charge of the day-to-day content of the section and the section’s design. Before becoming sports ...