Willow Smith won and led a Sewanee team victory in the school's Tiger Twilight Invitational cross country meet Friday evening, and the Sewanee guys finished second led by Mark McAlister's fourth-place finish of 28:03.00 in the 8-kilometer race. Lincoln Memorial's Ryan Mecca won in 26:42.00. Sewanee's Ansley McDurmon and Amy Lee were second and third in the women's race behind Smith's 23:31.0 time, and Sewanee had the fourth through 10th men.
• Janis Reese of Harrison was presented the "outstanding timekeeper" award at the PAL National Boxing Championships for the fourth time as the 2013 event concluded last Saturday in Oxnard, Calif. Reese, who was similarly honored at the PAL nationals in Oxnard in 2006 and in San Antonio, Texas, in 2009 and 2010, also was the timekeeping award winner at the National Golden Glove Championships in Kansas City, Mo., in 2004. She is first vice president of the Golden Gloves' timekeepers association. As usual, she worked the 2013 PAL tournament with her husband Gene, a longtime referee/judge.
• Paula Martins had 15 kills, 11 digs and three block solos in leading Lee University to a 3-0 Gulf South Conference volleyball victory Friday night at home in Cleveland against Alabama-Huntsville. Becky Bourne had 44 assists, Patty Orozco and Latrice Johnson made 10 and nine kills and Libby Peigen and Johnson had 17 and 14 digs for the Lady Flames (6-5, 4-3), who prevailed 25-21, 25-22, 25-23. Olivia Bauman had 14 kills for UAH (6-9, 4-3).
• Chattanooga Christian graduate Kelsey Lochstampfor had a .444 attack percentage and nine kills to go with two teammates' 11 each as Berry College won 3-0 at Sewanee in Southern Athletic Association volleyball Friday. Set scores were 25-22, 25-15, 25-15 in favor of Berry (14-4, 7-1). Kayla Sewell led Sewanee with eight kills and added nine digs to go with Jamie Kosman's 15, and Rachel Shuman had 12 assists for the Tigers (12-7, 3-5).
• Both UTC doubles teams and three individuals advanced to the second round of the USTA/ITA Ohio Valley Regionals men's tennis tournament Friday in Knoxville, but the duos then lost. Mocs sophomores John Peacey and Luke Saunders won 8-7 over a Dayton team before falling 8-4 to a Memphis duo, and senior Jorge Varon and junior Pavels Grigorjevs won 8-6 over an Xavier pair and lost 8-7 to the fifth seeds from East Tennessee State. In singles, Grigorjevs moved on with a bye while Saunders beat ETSU's Florian Graskamp 6-4, 1-6, 6-1 and Varon downed Eastern Kentucky's Alex Alvaro 6-4, 6-4. They play again today.
• The UTC softball team will play its annual Blue & Gold intrasquad fall game today at 11 a.m. at Jim Frost Stadium, followed by a free cookout hosted by the Lady Moc RBI Club. There also is no charge to watch the game. Designated for the Blue team are Hannah Thurley, Tyler Templet, Sarah Beth Roberts, Criket Blanco, Amanda Ross, Sam Taylor, Marina Wilkerson, Shelby Carter, Jesslyn Stockard and Kaitlyn Walker, while the Gold roster includes Stephanie Rieck, Nicole Osterman, Savannah Goldsmith, Alyssa Taylor, Jenny Garcia, Kaiti Dutton, Courtney Ervin, Anyssa Robles, Victoria Hunter and Yoshi Hooks. Pitchers Taylor Deason, Liana Rodrigues and Katie Henderson will wear white jerseys.
• The Chattanooga Area Basketball Club is hosting a coaching session at Lee University in Cleveland today, with Lee's Flames going through practice from 9 till 11 a.m. and Flames coach Tommy Brown then recapping practice, taking questions and providing a teaching session from 11 till noon. The Flames made eight straight strips to the NAIA Division I national tournament before moving this summer to NCAA Division II. The $10 fee includes the SEC book of Side and Baseline Out-of-Bounds plays, according to CABC executive director Daniel Gilbert. Interested participants should arrive between 8:30 and 9.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress
related articles »
Wesley Cash of Chattanooga and Mark Vines of Lynchburg, Va., made their USTA National Men's 55 Hard Court doubles championship ...
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team will have its annual Blue-Gold intrasquad meet at 11:30 this morning at ...
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga sophomore tennis player Kayla Jones was the women's main-draw singles champion Sunday in the 31st ...
East Hamilton softball player Kelsey Payne signed scholarship papers Friday with Brenau University in Gainesville, Ga.