In this Sept. 23, 2013, photo, Southwest Airlines aircraft technicians install newer, skinnier seats on a 737 at the carrier's headquarters in Dallas. Southwest says passengers will have the same amount of legroom even though the new seats allow for another row onboard.Photo by Associated Press /Chattanooga Times Free Press.
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
- WHO'S TRYING TO FORGE DEAL TO AVERT DEFAULT
Reid and McConnell, longtime Senate antagonists, discuss a plan to raise the debt limit until mid-February and halt the 2-week-old government shutdown.
- SAN FRANCISCO TRANSIT RIDERS GET ANOTHER REPRIEVE
Unions and management agree to extend labor talks past a midnight deadline.
- MAJOR QUAKE SHAKES CENTRAL PHILIPPINES
Dozens are killed after the 7.2-magnitude temblor topples buildings and sends residents into deadly stampedes.
- AFGHAN GOVERNOR KILLED AT MOSQUE
Arsallah Jamal was delivering a speech to mark the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha when a bomb inside his microphone detonated.
- WHY AIRPLANE SEATS SEEM TIGHTER
No, you're not imagining it: Airlines are squeezing more "slimline" models into the same space.
- AT LONG LAST, SOME SATISFACTION IN 'BABY HOPE' CASE
For NYPD officers who worked on the case, discovering the child's name after more than 20 years affords a measure of relief.
- AFTER BOSTON BOMBING, SHE CROSSES LINE FROM VICTIM TO SURVIVOR
The AP follows Mery Daniel as she overcomes the loss of her leg in the marathon blast and regains the ability to walk.
- HUNTER, 72, FOUND AFTER TWO WEEKS IN NORTHERN CALIF. FOREST
His family says he survived by eating game he shot and by packing leaves and grasses around his body to stay warm.
- WHICH PRESIDENT KEPT FOOD DIARIES AND WEIGHED HIMSELF DAILY
William H. Taft, who served from 1909-1913, was known for his girth -- at times he tipped the scales at more than 300 pounds -- but it was not for lack of trying to control it.
- DODGERS ARE BACK IN IT
Los Angeles snaps a stretch of 22 innings without a run, beating St. Louis 3-1 in Game 3 of the NLCS.