A fire that started about 1 pm. Friday at 2301 Elmendorf St. has been ruled accidental by the Chattanooga Fire Department.
Smoke was observed coming from the rear of the house when the first firefighters arrived. Firefighters found and extinguished the fire in the basement.
Four people live in the home but were not there when the fire started.
The house sustained an extimated $20,000 in damage.
Officials say improperly discarded smoking materials likely caused the fire.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:
related articles »
Chattanooga firefighters put out a fire at Bentco Office Supplies at 1501 Stuart Street around 7:30 p.m. Sunday.
Chattanooga firefighters had a busy night, responding to numerous calls that ended with a 2-alarm apartment fire in Hixson
A Chattanooga man has been charged with arson, accused of setting a house on fire while a woman slept on ...
Flames began to spread from room to room in the Lincoln Park home, where the reported screams of people inside ...