• Complemetary Health Education Organization: Nutrition World, Vance Road at Lee Highway, 2 p.m., free. Program by Jeannie Harrison on medicine cabinet makeovers with natural solutions and Donna McMillan on Reiki and energy tools for personal health.
• Street Smarts bicycle safety class: Tennessee Riverpark, Amnicola Marsh Meeting Room, Amnicola Highway, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., $30 per rider, preregistration required, class for ages 8-15 presented by Cohutta Adventures and Hamilton County Parks and Recreation. Participants must be able to ride unassisted and must wear helmet; early arrival and late pickup available for additional fee. www.bikereg.com/street-smarts-1-day-minicamp.
• Archaeology lecture: Southern Adventist University, Lynn Wood Hall Auditorium, Collegedale, 7 p.m, free, Michael G. Hasel reports on excavations at Lachish and new discoveries in Israel. 423-236-2030.
• Civil War talk: St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 305 W. Seventh St., 7 p.m., free. Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park historian Jim Ogden speaks on "Chattanooga's Churches Under Siege, 1862-63." 423-266-8195.
• Fall Family Fun Night: Heritage Pointe Baptist Church, 60 Dyer Bridge Place, Ringgold, Ga., 6:30 p.m., free, medical screenings, haircuts, financial counseling, kids' games, crafts. 706-858-0976.
• Chattanooga Storytellers: Northgate Public Library, 278 Northgate Mall Drive, 6 p.m., free, members participate in Scary Story Showcase open to the public, stories will be appropriate for children. 423-779-4466.
• Fall festival: Glory Road Baptist Church, 3336 Lakeview Drive, Rossville, Ga., 8 a.m.-3 p.m., free, flea market, pintos and cornbread lunch, some vendors in fundraiser for Rossville church. 423-653-7171.
• Fall festival: Orchard Knob Missionary Baptist Church, 1734 E. Third St., 1-4 p.m., free community party with games, inflatables, arts and crafts, treats. Organizers request children do not wear costumes. 423-629-6115.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...
related articles »
• Downtown Chickamauga, Ga.; 3-6 p.m. today; Chickamauga Christmas Celebration features live Nativity, animal petting zoo, live music, family photo ...
So many choices, so little time!
10-11 Basket Affair, Hutcheson Medical Center lobby, 100 Gross Crescent, Fort Oglethorpe, Ga., 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, $10 ...
There are some notable changes among the 80 listings in today's Times Free Press guide to fall festivals and fairs.