The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga volleyball team took the first two sets and made a season-high 84 digs but lost 3-2 at home to Elon in Southern Conference play Saturday, 22-25, 22-25, 25-22, 25-17, 15-12.
Kasey Talley downed 12 kills and Lauren Gainer had nine for UTC (3-20, 2-6), which got 22 and 14 assists and 10 and 14 digs from Catherine Chason and Anne Bachmann and 22 and 19 digs from Melissa Green and Briana Reid. Hannah Merkle had three aces with 14 digs.
Megan Gravley and Danielle Smith led five players with double-digit kills for Elon (13-11, 4-4) with 16 and 15, and Ana Nicksic had 45 assists and 13 digs.
• On Lookout Mountain, Chelsea VanDyk totaled 29 kills and Stephanie Kirkpatrick had 56 assists as Covenant College beat North Carolina Wesleyan 3-0 and William Peace 3-2 in USA South volleyball Saturday.
Cora Schroeder had 12 digs with seven kills in the 25-4, 25-14, 25-21 breeze and 10 digs with eight kills in the 25-20, 17-25, 25-17 14-25, 15-8 escape of Peace (21-6, 9-4) for the Lady Scots (14-9, 7-4), who got 16 and 13 digs in that match from Estes Carlson and Jaclyn Stuart.
• At Tennessee Temple, the Lady Crusaders won two 3-0 matches -- 25-14, 25-21, 25-22 over Toccoa Falls and 25-12, 25-23, 25-17 over Judson (Ala.). Temple is 17-14.
• At Athens, Tenn., after winning 25-23, 25-14, 25-19 Friday night against visiting Virginia Intermont, Tennessee Wesleyan put up a valiant effort in another Appalachian Athletic Conference match Saturday but lost 3-2 to Milligan (20-25, 25-22, 31-29, 22-25, 15-11). That left the Lady Bulldogs at 7-17 overall, 4-12 in the AAC.
• At Jackson, Miss., Sewanee's Kayla Sewell from Walker Valley had 11 kills and 16 digs in Sewanee's 25-21, 25-21, 25-14 Southern Athletic Association volleyball loss Saturday at Millsaps. Rachel Shuman had 17 assists and Walker Buxton added 11 for the Tigers (13-9 4-7).
• At Mount Berry, Ga., Kelsey Lockstampfor from Chattanooga Christian recorded 18 kills in Berry College's 25-16, 25-17, 19-25, 25-20 SAA volleyball win over visiting Hendrix. Berry's Vikings are 17-5, 10-1.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:
related articles »
Briana Reid's 15 kills, 16 digs and 17 points led the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga to a 3-1 Southern ...
East Hamilton softball player Kelsey Payne signed scholarship papers Friday with Brenau University in Gainesville, Ga.
Tennessee went 4-0 in the Country Inns & Suites Invitational volleyball tournament hosted the last three days by UT-Chattanooga, but ...
The season-opening volleyball tournament at the University of the South was the Sewanee Invitational in more than just name.