Briana Reid's 15 kills, 16 digs and 17 points led the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga to a 3-1 Southern Conference volleyball win Saturday at The Citadel. Kasey Talley had 16 kills and 18.5 points and Lauren Gainer had 15 kills and a block assist as the Mocs prevailed 25-27, 25-18, 25-17, 25-19 and improved to 4-20 overall, 3-6 in the SoCon.
Anne Bachmann had 51 assists and 11 digs, Melissa Grreen had 21 digs and Hannah Merkle added 10 digs in the win. Katie Briggs had 15 kills for The Citadel (5-21, 0-10).
• At Pensacola, Fla., Lee University lost a close 3-0 match to West Florida in Gulf South Conference volleyball despite 12 kills by Paula Martins and 10 by Latrice Johnson. The Argonauts (17-6, 10-1) won 25-23, 27-25, 25-23. Camil Martinez had 34 digs and 11 digs and Libby Peigen had 16 digs for the Lady Flames (10-6, 7-4).
Friday night, Lee won 3-1 at West Alabama (26-24, 25-23, 19-25, 25-23) as Martins had 19 kills and Martinez set 40 assists. Johnson had 12 kills and 10 digs, Peigen and Deborah Magalhaes had 19 and 15 digs, Blaire Beamer had three aces, three block solos and four block assists and Catherine Conley had four block solos for the Lady Flames.
• At Dayton, Bryan improved to 28-1 overall and 17-0 in the Appalachian Athletic Conference by edging Union College 25-23, 25-22, 25-22. Kara Stamper, Carolyn Evans and Chelsea Breaden had 11, 10 and nine kills for the Lady Lions, and Taylor Fink had 34 assists and 15 digs. Corrie Walker had 11 digs.
• At Fayetteville, N.C., Covenant beat Meredith and host Methodist both 3-1 and clinched a spot in the USA South tournament. Cora Schroeder had 14 kills and 10 digs and Chelsea VanDyk and Caroline Cone added 12 and 10 kills in the 25-12, 22-25, 25-14, 25-20 win over Methodist, when Stephanie Kirkpatrick had 43 assists, 10 digs and two block solos and Estes Carlson made 19 digs. VanDyk had 17 kills and Hannah Rogers and Schroeder had 13 and 11 in the 18-25, 25-22, 25-18, 25-20 defeat of Methodist for the Lady Scots (16-10, 9-5), who got 45 assists and 15 digs from Kirkpatrick and 14 and 13 digs from Carlson and Anna Swain.
• At Memphis, Alexis Krall had 22 kills and Mollie Newbern added 15 as Rhodes defeated Sewanee 3-2 (25-15, 20-25, 22-25, 25-14, 15-4) in a Southern Athletic Association match. Jamie Sue Wilson and Diamond Stewart had 13 and 10 kills and Jamie Kosman had 28 digs for Sewanee (13-10, 4-8), while Rachel Schuman had 11 assists and 11 digs, Walker Buxton also had 11 assists and Kayla Sewell had 15 digs.
• At Jefferson City, Tenn., Rachel Harper from Boyd-Buchanan had 12 digs with a team-high 10 kills and Kristen Pickett from Cleveland High had 29 assist and nine digs in Carson-Newman's 25-7, 21-25, 25-22, 25-17 loss to Anderson.
• At Mount Olive, N.C., Payton Tipton from Cleveland had team highs of four aces and 10 digs as King College beat Mount Olive College 24-26, 25-18, 25-13, 25-13 on Saturday. That made King 22-4, 11-1 in the Carolinas Conference.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress
related articles »
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling team will have its annual Blue-Gold intrasquad meet at 11:30 this morning at ...
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga volleyball team took the first two sets and made a season-high 84 digs but ...
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga volleyball team evened its Southern Conference record at 1-1 with a taut 3-2 win ...
The season-opening volleyball tournament at the University of the South was the Sewanee Invitational in more than just name.