• Benedictine Sisters Retreat Center, 916 Convent Road N.E., Cullman, Ala.; 6 p.m. CDT Friday-noon Sept. 15; Introduction to Centering Prayer retreat offered; $210 (includes private room and meals); 256-734-8302 or email email@example.com.
• Greater Emmanuel Apostolic Church, 400 Tunnel Blvd.; 4 p.m. Sunday; lecture on healthier, biblical way to live by behavioral cardiologist, author and radio show producer Dr. James L. Marcum of the Chattanooga Health Institute; free (with video giveaways); 290-2714.
• East Ridge Presbyterian Church, 4919 Court Drive; 6 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 15; Financial Peace University is nine-week course to give families and individuals the tools to gain control of their finances; 867-7295.
• Fairview United Methodist Church, 3901 Hamill Road, Hixson; noon Sunday (following 11 a.m. service); Grandparents Day celebration offers soup-and-salad luncheon, 5-by-7 photographs of each family and entertainment by Eddie Hixson; free; 842-4886.
• Bread of Life Mission, 281 Fourth St., Crossville, Tenn.; 7 p.m. CDT today; gospel concert by Jim Ricketts and Crystle Elam; free; 421-4269.
• Philadelphia Baptist Church, 1065 Pine Grove Road, Ringgold, Ga.; 6 p.m. Friday; gospel concert by Hope for Tomorrow and Henry Potter; 706-891-5683.
• Sale Creek United Methodist Church, 14909 Dayton Pike; 10 a.m. Sunday; Homecoming concert by For Him, a Southern gospel quartet; free; 240-3356.
• Chattanooga Convention Center, 1150 Carter St.; 7:30-10 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 1; fourth annual J103 Pastor Appreciation Breakfast open to all pastors, ministers and clergy in the Tennessee Valley, with keynote speaker Mike Williams, a former pastor and now a Christian comedian and medical clinic/school facilitator in the Dominican Republic;Voices of Lee also performing; free but reservations needed by Sept. 23; www.j103/pastors-breakfast.
• Hamilton County Courthouse, 625 Georgia Ave.; noon Wednesday; Patriot Day prayer for nation sponsored by the Awakening America Alliance and coordinated by Chattanooga Aglow; 888-929-2538 or www.awakeningamerica.us.
• Peavine Baptist Church, 1089 Peavine Road, Rock Spring, Ga.; 9 a.m-2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 14; women's conference, "No Other God," featuring author and songwriter Kelly Minter of Nashville; $25 (includes lunch); 706-375-4721 or peavine.org.
• New Philadelphia Missionary Baptist Church, 3601 Ringgold Road, East Ridge; 3 p.m. Sunday; Patriarch Women Ministers of the Gospel Soul-Winning Conference features ministers Gay Crutcher, Beulah Stoudimire, Ernestine Lindsey Crutcher, Edna Dillard and Esther Graham; program to be broadcast live on radio station WMNZ online; 821-3784.
Clint Cooper is the faith editor and a staff writer for the Times Free Press Life section. He also has been an assistant sports editor and Metro staff writer for the newspaper. Prior to the merger between the Chattanooga Free Press and Chattanooga Times in 1999, he was sports news editor for the Chattanooga Free Press, where he was in charge of the day-to-day content of the section and the section’s design. Before becoming sports ...
related articles »
There are some notable changes among the 80 listings in today's Times Free Press guide to fall festivals and fairs.
The Rev. Clay Thomas, a native of Greenville, S.C., has been hired as pastor of Rivermont Presbyterian Church, 3319 Hixson ...
Black History Month event features interactive discussion of prejudices discussed in the book "Prejudices Within Your Race"; free but reservations ...