• Name: Pins and Needles Quilt Shop
• Owner: Stacy Slockbower
• Location: 6425 Hixson Pike, Chattanooga
• Opened: Aug. 2
• Service: Pins and Needles Quilt Shop sells custom quilts, consignment quilts, fabrics, books and tons of quilt-related supplies. The shop also holds classes for quilters and a special 'Girls Night Out' class where participants create a table runner in about two hours. The shop also hosts private parties like baby showers or wedding showers.
• Prices: Fabric prices per yard range from $6 to $13, classes start at $35
• How it got started: Slockbower started quilting four years ago and recently started a non-profit, G.S. Quilts for a Cause, that creates quilts for families with terminally ill children or memory quilts for deceased children. After the charity was successful and well-received, Slockbower decided to turn her hobby into a job and opened the quilt shop.
Initial investment: under $50,000
• Five-year goal: Slockbower hopes to eventually franchise out and open another shop. She wants to set up in areas without a local quilt shop. "I think every town deserves a quilt shop," she said.
• Web site: pinsandneedlesquiltshop.com
• Phone number: 423-668-8734
Compiled by Shelly Bradbury, who may be reached at 757-6525 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shelly Bradbury joined the Times Free Press as a business reporter in January 2013, after starting with the paper as a general assignment intern in July 2012. She is from Houghton, New York, and graduated from Huntington University in Huntington, Indiana, with a bachelor’s degree in journalism and minor in management. Before moving to Tennessee, Shelly previously interned with The Goshen News, The Sandusky Register and The Mint Hill Times. Outside the newsroom, Shelly enjoys ...
related articles »
If it seems too early to start the countdown to Christmas, consider that Dec. 25 is only 34 days away. ...
Two new businesses that hope to marry great coffee with great food are opening in a shared space in North ...
Good World Goods moved from Hixson Pike to Brainerd Road, where the retail shop has about 10 times more space ...
Project: Publix Owner: Bassam Issa Location: 635 Paul Huff Parkway, Cleveland, Tenn.