The University of Tennessee of Chattanooga women's soccer team scored first and last in its first Southern Conference match of the season Friday night at Finley Stadium, but visiting Davidson scored three times in the middle and won 3-2. Becca Fisher had the first goal and an assist and Julia Singley and Sarah Tuggle also scored for the Wildcats (2-5-3), who led 20-7 in shots and 8-2 in corner kicks. Monica Spieth scored 3:42 in for the Mocs (4-4), and Crystal Mackezyk scored from an Andria Aurand corner kick at 79:46. Taylor Mangrum made nine saves.
• Bethany Logan and A.C. Strawbridge each had a goal and an assist and Anna Porch, Madison Smartt, Rachel Bernard and Katherine Keller also scored as the Covenant College women's soccer team beat visiting Mary Baldwin in USA South play Friday. The Lady Scots (5-5, 3-0) led 34-0 in shots and 13-2 in corner kicks.
• Igor Dias netted a rebound of a blocked Japhet Bitsindou shot 5;53 into overtime to give West Florida a 1-0 men's Gulf South soccer win Friday night at Lee. Tom Halsall matched his counterpart with seven saves for Lee (2-3-1), which matched the Argonauts with eight shots on goal.
• Nashville residents Craig Smith and Philip Lee are the 36-hole leaders of the Tennessee Mid-Amateur Championship at GreyStone Golf Club in Dickson after shooting 6-under-par 66s Friday for 135 totals. Chattanooga native Josh Nelms is tied for third at 138 with six-time champion Tim Jackson of Germantown and Franklin's Wes Williams. Mike Poe of Athens shot a 69 to move into an eight-man tie for 18th at 144 that also includes Chattanoogan Nick Blakely and two-time defending champion Todd Burgan of Knoxville. The final round is today.
• Furman beat UTC 3-1 in the SoCon opener for both volleyball teams Friday in Greenville, S.C., but Allie Davenport had 11 kills and Briana Reid and Julimar Alvarado had 10 apiece in the 25-16, 17-25, 25-18, 25-18 loss. Anne Bachman and Catherine Chason had 19 and 18 assists for UTC (1-15), and Melissa Green had 14 digs. Furman is 5-7.
• Paula Martins had 10 kills and Latrice Johnson and Lauren Williams added nine and eight, but their Lee University volleyball team lost its Gulf South match Friday at Valdosta State (11-2, 4-0), 25-16 26-24, 25-20. Becky Bourne had 30 assists and Libby Peigen had 14 digs for Lee (5-2, 2-1).
• Bryan College improved to 16-1, 7-0 in the Appalachian Athletic Conference, with a 3-1 (25-10, 25-12, 21-25, 24-14) win Friday night at Virginia Intermont. Corrie Walker had 31 digs and Taylor Fink had 26 assists for the Lady Lions, while Caroline Evans had 10 kills and Kara Stamper and Chelsea Breaden added seven apiece.
• Tennessee Temple University lost 25-3, 25-15, 25-17 to Cumberland and 25-21, 26-24, 25-12 to Ohio Valley in Cumberland's tournament Friday in Lebanon, Tenn. TTU's best stat against the hosts was Shatoya Medford's nine digs. Victoria Smith had 11 against OVU, when Kiara Govan had 18 assists and two aces and Lydia Vick and Medford had six kills each.
• Rachel Harper from Boyd-Buchanan and Kristen Pickett from Cleveland High School had double-doubles in Carson-Newman's 3-0 South Atlantic Conference volleyball loss at nationally ranked Wingate on Friday. Pickett had 33 assists, 14 digs and six kills and Harper had 11 kills and 12 digs in her eighth double-double for the Lady Eagles (6-6, 1-4).
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress