published Tuesday, April 1st, 2014

Fire burns up 2 Mountain Creek apartment units in Chattanooga (with video)

Fire video courtesy of Bruce Garner

Six families were displaced by a fire at Mountain Creek Apartments in Chattanooga today.

The fire happened 2:40 p.m. Smoke and flames were shooting out the windows of apartments 174 and 175 in Building P.

The apartments appeared to be empty, but firefighters did find a pet cat suffering from smoke inhalation. Another firefighter administered oxygen to the cat. After a few minutes, the cat’s condition appeared to improve.

Firefighters were able to get the blaze under control in about 20 minutes. No injuries were reported.

Damage was contained to two apartment units. Another two or three may have smoke and water damage.

Lt. Henry McElvain said the fire appears to have started on the balcony of Apartment 174. What sparked the blaze remains under investigation.

about Staff Report...

Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:

Other National Articles

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.