Between two losses Friday night and Saturday in Cleveland, Miss., against Delta State, the 12th-ranked team in NCAA Division II, the Lee University baseball Flames gave coach Mark Brew his 400th win with the Cleveland, Tenn., program.
The Flames won 5-3 and lost 11-1 on Saturday, leaving them 23-15 overall and 10-11 in the Gulf South Conference in their first year in Division II. Brew is 400-104-1 in nine years with the former NAIA power.
Saturday's win came with a three-run eighth inning featuring a two-run double by Derrick Pitts, who had two of Lee's six hits in Friday's 9-0 loss. Pitts then scored on a single by Andres Nelo, who matched Cameron Brewster with two hits in the victory. Jeremy Stawychny allowed seven hits and three runs in his 6 1/3 innings, and Jeremy Bales got the win with 2 2/3 innings of one-hit relief.
Nathan Wierzgac was 1-for-2 with the RBI for Lee in the finale.
* Bryan 7-3, Milligan 5-8: At Dayton, the host Lions won the Appalachian Athletic Conference series with Tyler Latham drilling a three-run homer in the first inning, Preston King doubling twice in two at-bats, Cody Rhinehart going 2-for-3 with an RBI and Kevin Roberts scoring two runs in going 1-for-1 and being hit by two pitches in Saturday's first game.
But Milligan (17-13, 9-9) won the series finale with only Joey Underwood managing two hits for Bryan (24-17, 10-8). He was 2-for-3 and scored twice, and Grant Zawadzki had two RBIs.
* Cleveland State 2-4, Motlow 1-5: At Cleveland, Bobby Towne outdueled Motlow's Elliott Bush and Hayden Bailey with a six-strikeout three-hitter in the first game of the TCCAA doubleheader, but the Bucks (30-17, 12-8) bounced back with a one-run win of their own as Luke Toms hit a two-run homer and Clayton Palicki had a two-run single.
Clay Hetland homered and Dalton Rogers and Jammer Strickland had run-scoring singles for the Cougars in defeat. Chris Caffrey and Jared Davis each was 1-for-2 with an RBI in the win for Cleveland State (21-16, 9-11).
* Covenant 3-11, Ferrum 1-6: On Lookout Mountain, the host Scots followed an 8-4 loss in Friday's suspended USA South contest with a sweep of the two full games. Garrett Kriston pitched a four-hitter with nine strikeouts and Will Carlton hit a two-run homer in the first win for Covenant (20-7, 14-4), and David Lockwood had four RBIs while Scott Gillespie and winning relief pitcher Chris Rollins divided four in the finale.
Lockwood was 3-for-5 with three RBIs and Will Cleland also was 3-for-5 in the loss, and Cleland scored three runs while Paul Phillips, K.C. Simons and Gillespie each had two hits and two runs in the finale.
* Tennessee Temple 2-9, Johnson 1-0: At Jasper, Hunter Giles and Dylan Massengill pitched two-hitters with 10 and 11 strikeouts and no earned runs as the Crusaders improved to 10-15. Jake Stone had two hits and Jan Ramirez hit an RBI single in the first game, and former Marion County players Trey Hill and Austin Layne each was 2-for-3 and combined for five RBIs in the second game on their high school field.
Also in game two, Nico McElrath was 3-for-4, Josh Thomas had a double and two RBIs and Brett Bartley had two hits and an RBI.
* Sewanee 4-2, Centre 2-6: At Sewanee, Ben Clune was 2-for-3 with two runs and an RBI in the season's first Southern Athletic Association win for the host Tigers (9-18, 1-13), who got five-hit pitching from Mike O'Neil and Marshall Ussery. Clune and Jack Whaley had RBIs in the loss, and Jackson Cooper was 2-for-4 and scored a run.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress