Luncheon raises more than $30,000 to support Girls Inc.
What: More than 500 guests attended the 10th annual UnBought and UnBossed Awards held at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Ten adult, female, role models were honored by the Girls Inc. members whom they have mentored. Nominations were accepted from the community for honorees, Girls Inc. members chose the 10 women based on merit, then each girl was paired with an honoree who inspired her. The girls introduced their mentors at the luncheon.
Benefits: Raised over $30,000 for programs of Girls Inc. of Chattanooga
• Dr. Stephanie Bellar, UTC professor
• Lacey Furr, Regions Bank vice president
• Jenise Gordon, Girls Preparatory School biology teacher
• Donna McConnico, Signal Centers’ chief executive officer
• Diane Parks, Chattanooga Area Chamber of Commerce director of leadership and communitiy development
• Gladys Pineda-Loher, Chattanooga State Community College director of international community outreach
• Dr. Kathy Purnell, UTC social work instructor and field education coordinator
• Dr. Christine Benz Smith, UTC School of Nursing director
• Barbara Allison-Standefer, Owner of Allison Senior Advising
• Judge Marie Williams, Circuit Court judge for the state of Tennessee Judicial Department
Junior Achievement honors six with Spirit of Achievement Awards
What: Junior Achievement of Chattanooga honored one individual and five businesses at its recent Spirit of Achievement Awards. Guest speaker Dale Murphy, former Atlanta Brave, drew 600 guests to the luncheon at the Chattanooga Convention Center.
Benefits: Raised more than $72,000 for Junior Achievement's financial education programs in schools in Hamilton and Marion counties in Tennessee and Catoosa and Walker counties in Georgia.
• Max Finley Volunteer of the Year Award: Ken Jones
• Spirit of Achievement Awards: Henderson, Hutcherson and McCullough PLLC and Horizon Milling
• John G. Kain IV Corporate Citizenship Awards: Capital Financial Group, Tenth Street Capital, McKee Foods Corp. and Unum