published Monday, April 14th, 2014

Hoyt Street fire linked to child playing with lighter

Fire at 3503 Hoyt St. Photo by Bruce Garner.
Fire at 3503 Hoyt St. Photo by Bruce Garner.
3503 Hoyt St.
Get directions:  To here - From here

The cause of this afternoon’s fire at 3503 Hoyt St. that caused about $26,000 in damage has been ruled accidental, Chattanooga fire Department officials said.

Lt. Henry McElvain with the Fire Investigation Division said a 7-year-old boy found a cigarette

lighter and set some bed linens on fire in a bedroom, according to a news release.

Chattanooga Fire Department officials said Larry Mangahne told firefighters he was cooking in the kitchen when his grandson ran up to him saying there was a fire in a bedroom, according to the release.

When firefighters arrived, they quickly put out the fire in an upstairs bedroom.

Fire damage was contained to the bedroom while the rest of the house sustained water and smoke damage.

about Staff Report...

Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:

Other National Articles

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »


Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.