A minivan burns at the gates to a National Guard base in Mariupol, early Thursday, April 17, 2014. Three pro-Russian militants died and 13 were wounded when Ukrainian troops repelled an attack on the National Guard base in the Black Sea port of Mariupol, Ukraine's interior minister said Thursday.Photo by Associated Press /Chattanooga Times Free Press.
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
- CLASHES AT UKRAINIAN BASE KILL THREE PRO-MOSCOW MILITANTS
As international talks get underway in Geneva, tensions in eastern Ukraine flare.
- FEARS RISE OVER DEATH TOLL IN KOREAN SHIP SINKING
An anxious search, facing bad weather and sea conditions, has so far failed to locate nearly 300 passengers still missing in the accident that killed nine.
- WHAT CHANGED AFTER BOSTON MARATHON BOMBING
Very little. Despite symbolic pledges of support from elected officials across the nation on this week's anniversary, there is little evidence of any significant impact on anti-terror policy.
- WHO SHOULD REALLY GET BEHIND OBAMACARE
Political consultants urge Democrats to embrace the Affordable Care Act, especially after at least 7.5 million people enrolled despite its disastrous rollout.
- RELATIVE CALM BRINGS ISRAELI TOURISTS BACK TO PALESTINIAN TOWNS
Tour groups cross the political divide to visit such landmark Palestinian sites as a mausoleum dedicated to Yasser Arafat.
- HOW COLORADO'S OIL PRODUCTION IS REACHING 50-YEAR HIGHS
A photo essay by AP Photographer Brennan Linsley looks inside a walled-off fracking facility for answers.
- PISTORIUS PROSECUTOR CROSS-EXAMINES FORENSICS EXPERT
The court is hearing the last testimonies before the trial of the double-amputee Olympian is adjourned for two weeks.
- ONE MAN'S PRISON IS ANOTHER MAN'S RETIREMENT SANCTUARY
A long-term convict, 74 and struggling with life on the outside, succumbs to homesickness for prison--and robs a bank to get back in.
- FLIGHT SIMULATOR BUSINESS FIRES HIGH-PROFILE INSTRUCTOR, CITING TARDINESS, DRESS
Mitchell Casado's relaxed style of jeans and plaid shirts attracted wide attention during his frequent appearances on CNN as part of its coverage.
- WHERE MLS IS ADDING A FRANCHISE
Atlanta's retractable dome stadium, scheduled to open in 2017, will be home to the fast-growing soccer league's newest team.