Events and Seminars
• An Encore Entrepreneur Event: StraightTalk Monday from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, Cleveland State Community College, Technology Building (Room 130), 3535 Adkisson Drive NW. Event is free and open to the public. Call 423-424-4220 for more information and to register.
• How To Buy or Sell a Business Tuesday from 9 to 11 a.m. at the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, 100 Cherokee Blvd. This two-hour session covers preparation necessary to obtain maximum value when selling a business, as well as how a buyer can prepare to make a smart decision about purchasing a business. The session will be conducted by a former business owner who has bought and sold six businesses, a CPA and certified evaluator of businesses and a business lawyer to cover legal issues and documents involved in the transfer of business assets. The session will include a Q&A. Hosted by the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, this event is free and open to the public. Visit www.tsbdc.org/chscc to register.
• 1 Million Cups Wednesday from 9 to 10 a.m. at Society of Work, 701 Market St. Held every Wednesday, 1 Million Cups brings Chattanooga's entrepreneurial community together to hear two startup entrepreneurs and unique local businesses pitch their companies. Each event includes a Q&A session with featured participants. Coffee is provided by Velo Coffee Roasters.
• ConnectForLunch Wednesday from noon to 1 p.m. at participating local restaurants. ConnectForLunch is a Chattanooga Chamber program bringing professionals together for face-to-face lunch meetings with two or three members. This setting allows participants to make meaningful connections that can lead to new and stronger business relationships. Visit www.connect4lunch.com/chattanoogachamber to register.
• Downtown Council meeting Thursday at 7:30 a.m. at the Sheraton Read House, 827 Broad St. Speaker: UTC Chancellor Steven Angle. Meetings cost $15 with valet parking included.
• Small business orientation Thursday from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, 100 Cherokee Blvd. Counselor will discuss basic business planning including financial projections and legal entities. Attendees will receive an information packet containing phone numbers and addresses for information about business licenses, taxes and other startup materials. Hosted by the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, this event is free and open to the public. Visit www.tsbdc.org/chscc to register.
• Southside Council meeting Thursday from noon to 1 p.m. at green|spaces Chattanooga, 63 E. Main St. Speaker: Henry Ferris, vice president of sales and marketing at Bi-Lo, will discuss "Bi-Local Initiative: Why Bi-Lo's call for local product placement and distribution is important to Chattanooga and surrounding areas." Meetings cost $10.
• Financing Your Business the SBA Way Thursday from 1 to 2 p.m. at the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, 100 Cherokee Blvd. This workshop covers SBA loan options including which loan programs meet specific entrepreneurial needs. Hosted by the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, this seminar will put participants ahead of the game in government-guaranteed lending and is free and open to the public. Visit www.tsbdc.org/chscc to register.
• Hamilton County Commission Districts 4, 5 and 9 Candidate Forum Thursday from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at the Home Builders Association, 3221 Harrison Pike. This free event will provide candidates an opportunity to network with business and community leaders. Networking begins at 5:30 p.m., and the program begins at 6 p.m. Each candidate will have five minutes to provide remarks. The event will not have a formal question-and-answer period.
• What Is a Business Plan, and Why Do I Need One? Thursday from 6 to 7 p.m. at BrightBridge Women's Business Center, 535 Chestnut St., Suite 161. This workshop is targeted to individuals who want to start or grow a business. Attendees will review the basics of the business plan, including the major components of the business plan and why it is important to have one. Hosted by the BrightBridge Women's Business Center, this event is free and open to the public. Call 423-424-4220 to register.
• Free IP Clinic with Chambliss Startup Group Friday from 1 to 3 p.m. at The Company Lab, 55 E. Main St. To schedule a 30-minute time slot for your startup, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress