published Saturday, August 9th, 2014

Fire displaces Chattanooga family of 5

A family of five has been left homeless in Chattanooga after a kitchen fire caused considerable damage to their home on Friday night, according to Bruce Garner, public information director for the Chattanooga Fire Department.

The Fire Department received the alarm at 8 p.m. and responded to 3223 Navajo Drive with four fire companies, Garner said in a news release.

All of the family members were safely outside the home when the Fire Department arrived, though the family’s pet dog was trapped inside the house. Senior Firefighter Eric Roddy was able to find the dog and carried him outside to the anxious family without any apparent injuries, according to the release.

Captain Fryar said that the fire started in the kitchen and spread into the attic, breaking through the roof. It was difficult for firefighters to get to the fire because of the multiple layers of roofs, but after 20 minutes they were able to get the blaze under control and no injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental. The family told firefighters that hot grease on the stove caught fire and quickly spread up the wall and into the attic. Estimated damages are at $65,000, Garner said.

Volunteers with the American Red Cross of Southeast Tennessee were called to provide assistance to the adult and four children who lived in the house.

about Staff Report...

Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:

Other National Articles

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.