published Friday, February 7th, 2014

Disabled man saved from house fire on North Chamberlain in Chattanooga

  • photo
    Engine 4 sits in front of the house where the fire occurred. The fire damage was limited to the kitchen area. Photo contributed by the Chattanooga Fire Department.
    Photo by Contributed Photo /Chattanooga Times Free Press.

A Chattanooga police officer helped a disabled man escape his burning home this morning.

Patrol Officer Tyrone Williams was first to arrive after the 911 call to 2902 N. Chamberlain, where a woman on the front porch told him a man was still inside, according to a news release from fire department spokesman Bruce Garner.

Williams said he went inside and found a man in a wheelchair in the living room. From there, he could see flames in the kitchen and black smoke was filling the house, Garner said.

Williams pushed the man, Denver Joe McMath, to the front door, where the woman helped get the wheelchair to the porch.

Meanwhile, Chattanooga firefighters helped ensure two other people in an attached apartment were safely outside.

The fire was blamed on unattended food left cooking, Garner said. Firefighters quickly soaked the flames, but other parts of the home were damaged by smoke, he said.

about Staff Report...

Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:

Other National Articles

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.