• Civil War lecture: Catoosa County Library, 108 Catoosa Circle in Benton Place campus, Ringgold, Ga., 1 p.m., free, sponsored by 6th Cavalry Museum. Jerry Trollinger, cavalry re-enactor, presents “Forward, Trot, Gallop, Charge: The Work of the Cavalryman and His Horse.” 706-861-2860.
• Black History Month Program: Bessie Smith Cultural Center, 200 M.L. King Blvd., 6 p.m., $10 at door. Creative Underground presents musical drama “God’s Trombones.” 423-266-8658.
• Black History Month Talk, Book Signing: Chattanooga State Community College. Former University of Tennessee defensive end Inquoris “Inky” Johnson holds book signing in Kolwyck Library at 4 p.m., followed by talk at 6 p.m. in Humanities Theatre. All events free. 423-697-3371.
• Catoosa County Historical Society: Old Stone Church Museum, intersection of U.S. Highway 41 and Georgia Highway 2, Ringgold, Ga., 7 p.m., visitors welcome. David Boyle, president of the Walker County Historical Society, will speak on the Marsh House in LaFayette, Ga. 706-866-3871.
• Chattanooga Herbies: Hamilton County Agricultural Center, 6083 Adamson Circle off Bonny Oaks Drive, 6:30-8 p.m., open to anyone interested in growing herbs; speakers on growing chamomile and savory and using them in recipes; dishes on hand to sample. 423-875-9689.
• College Knowledge Lunch and Learn: Public Education Foundation office, 100 E. 10th St., third floor, noon, free workshop, $5 per person for lunch. High school students and their parents invited to workshop on “Resume writing and interviewing skills” and other college-related topics. Reservations required: slightfoot@ pefchattanooga.org.
• Chattanooga Stamp Club: Hickory Valley Christian Church, 6605 Shallowford Road, 6:30 p.m. doors open, 7:30 p.m. program on stamps of the Falkland Islands, visitors welcome. 325-280-5549.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...
related articles »
A reenactor portraying Capt. Stanley Howard of the Confederate Army of Tennessee will offer the next program in the 6th ...
• Civil War Lecture: Catoosa County Library, 108 Catoosa Circle, Ringgold, Ga., 1 p.m., free Civil War lecture by historian ...