University of Tennessee at Chattanooga redshirt freshman Wes Gosselin earned his first collegiate golf victory by taking the 36-hole Savannah Quarters Individual title Monday. He shot 1-under-par 143, beginning with a 70. Mocs teammates Chris Robb and Brooks Thomas tied for fifth at 149. The runner-up at 144 was Georgia Southern's Drew Guffey. UTC begins its spring-semester team schedule next Monday and Tuesday at the Mobile Bay Intercollegiate.
• The Lee University women's golf team is tied for second place in the Super San Diego Women's Championship after shooting a 315 on Monday, eight strokes behind host Point Loma Nazarene. Senior Courtney Shelton led the Lady Flames with a 3-over-par 75, while Cori Burns and Bernadette Little shot 79s and Madison Alexander and Callie Kitchens shot 82 and 83.
• Carson-Newman senior Ish Sanders from Cleveland High School was the South Atlantic Conference men's basketball player of the week after averaging 27.5 points and five rebounds in two wins last week, including a 79-77 defeat of NCAA Division II No. 7 Lincoln Memorial.
• Former Dade County star Travis Core has been named to the District 3 all-academic men's basketball team, a five-member group representing the Peach Belt, South Atlantic and Conference Carolinas leagues. Core, a junior point guard at North Georgia in Dahlonega, is averaging 10 points and leads the team in assists and steals. He also is president of the UNG Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and has been named to the Peach Belt's presidential honor roll in each of his two previous seasons.
• Tennessee Temple swept a basketball doubleheader from visiting Truett-McConnell on Monday, 63-56 in the women's game and 73-52 in the men's. Amanda Rector led the Lady Crusaders (12-12) with 26 points, while Angel Foster scored 14 and Jess Salera had 14 rebounds with 10 points. Rhande Haskett from Ridgeland High School led Truett-McConnell (8-14) with 14 points and 10 rebounds, while Helen Simoes from Hamilton Heights had 12 points and eight rebounds and Alyssa Lawson from Sequatchie County had 10 points. Elliot Johnson had 18 points and Travaris Clarke added 11 in the easy win for the Crusaders (14-10). David Ward led the Bears (3-22) with 14 points and nine rebounds.
• The Piedmont College basketball teams came to Lookout Mountain and beat Covenant's women 82-53 and the male Scots 78-70 in USA South play Monday. Chase England had 15 points and eight rebounds to pace the visiting men's four double-figure scorers, countering 13 points and eight rebounds by Teron Ferguson and 12 points by Robby Bell for the Scots. Chandler Alverson scored 15 for the Piedmont women. Jessie Blankenship and Alexis Storteboom had 13 and 11 points and 10 and 11 rebounds for the Lady Scots, and Aleigha Williams scored 10 points.
• April Besley from Dalton had 12 rebounds and four steals and freshman Payton Smith from Sonoraville made seven steals in Reinhardt University's 72-44 Appalachian Athletic Conference women's basketball win Sunday against visiting St. Andrews. Lisa Mitchell paced the scoring with 16 points for the Lady Eagles (10-14, 7-8).
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress