The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men's golf team finished seventh out of 15 teams with a final-round 296 Tuesday in the Mobile Bay Intercollegiate tournament. Memphis, which was tied with UTC for fifth after the first two rounds, shot the day's low score, 283, and finished third at 865, one shot behind Kentucky and seven behind Auburn. Georgia State was fourth at 866, followed by Middle Tennessee State at 870, Mississippi at 875 and the Mocs at 878. Wake Forest was next at 880. UTC's Davis Bunn and Chris Robb closed with 71s and tied for 11th at 215 and 20th at 220, respectively, while Ewan Scott and Wes Gosselin tied for 39th at 223.
• The UTC women's golf team finished 10th in the 13-team Central District Invitational at Cypress Links in Lakewood Ranch, Fla., but had its third lowest round of the year Tuesday. Leading the 291 that gave the Mocs an 885 for 54 holes were Agathe Sauzon with a 71 and Emily McLennan and Isabella Loza with 73s. Jordan Britt shot a 74 and shared 29th place individually with Sauzon at 220, while McLennan tied for 31st at 221 and Loza tied for 50th at 226.
• The Lee University men's golfers finished second by two shots to St. Edward's in the 15-team San Antonio Shootout with a final-round 297 Tuesday. That made the Flames' total 897 on two TPC courses in the NCAA Division II event. Lee's Matt Emery and Hunter Vest tied for fourth individually at 221 and made the all-tournament team, while freshman Shea Sylvester closed with a 72 and tied for 12th at 227. Taylor Davis and Peyton Sliger shot 230 and 233.
• North Georgia beat Lee University 10-5 and 4-1 in softball Tuesday at Lee. Meg Macias hit two home runs, Amanda Lynn was 3-for-3 with two runs and Lexie Dean was 2-for-3 in the first loss for Lee (5-6), when Jessica Finch was 3-for-4 with a homer and four RBIs for the 9-5 visitors. Victoria Sink pitched a five-hitter in game two and Kim McMillan hit a three-run homer in the fifth inning. Ana Coscorrosa had Lee's RBI hit.
• After contributing 10 rebounds, five steals and eight points in Reinhardt's Appalachian Athletic Conference home win Saturday against Point University, junior April Besley from Dalton High School had 17 rebounds, a career-high 16 points and six assists as the Lady Eagles (12-14, 9-9) upset fourth-place Milligan 67-63 on Monday in Waleska, Ga. Freshman guard Payton Smith from Sonoraville added four assists. Chattanoogans Kayla Kelly and Robyn Anthony had, respectively, 15 points and eight rebounds for Milligan (16-11, 12-7).
• Ish Sanders from Cleveland had 18 points and six assists in Carson-Newman's 89-67 South Atlantic Conference basketball win Monday at Brevard. CNU is 16-6, overall, 13-5 in the SAC.
• Amanda Rector and TaQuasha O'Neal scored 19 and 17 points and Angel Foster and Jess Salera added nine and eight as the Tennessee Temple women's basketball team defeated Oakwood 64-52 despite cold shooting Tuesday. Foster had 16 rebounds, eight offensive, and Salera and Rector totaled nine and eight rebounds.
• The Georgia Northwestern women's basketball team will face West Georgia Tech at 2 p.m. Sunday at Oxford, Ga., for the NJCAA Division III Region XVII championship. West Georgia Tech won both regular-season meetings, including 84-55 last weekend. All-region first-teamers Kiarra Parks and Alyssa Nichelson combined for 35 points in defeat.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress
related articles »
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women's golf team jumped six places in finishing fourth out of 36 teams Tuesday ...
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women's golf team is in 10th place out of 12 teams in the Diane ...
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women's golf team set a 36-hole record for the program in taking the first-day ...
Led by top-10 individual finishes from Jordan Britt and Emily McLennan, the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women's golf team ...