published Thursday, February 27th, 2014

TN fire officials urge caution when using candles

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The state fire marshal's office is urging Tennessee residents to be careful when using decorative and fragranced candles.

Commissioner Julie Mix McPeak says from 2008 to 2012 Tennessee fire departments responded to more than 500 home structure fires started by candles.

The fires caused nine deaths, 30 injuries and more than $14 million in property damage.

Officials suggest using battery-operated flameless candles. But if using actual candles, suggestions include placing them in something sturdy that won't tip over, keeping them at least 12 inches from anything that can burn, and protecting candle flames with glass chimneys or containers.

According to the U.S. Fire Administration, on average, 42 home candle fires are reported every day in the United States. More than half of all candle fires start when something that could burn, like curtains, is too close to the candle.

about Associated Press...

The Associated Press

Other National Articles

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.