The Chattanooga Fire Department has responded to numerous calls over the last few days for frozen pipes thawing and bursting as temperatures begin to climb.
At the Pickle Barrel, 1012 Market St., an estimated couple of thousand gallons of water poured from the sprinkler system, damaging the ceiling and much of the restaurant Wednesday afternoon. The business is expected to be closed for a few days as repairs are made.
Bruce Garner, public information officer for the fire department, said firefighters responded by inserting wooden wedges into the sprinkler head to stop the water.
"They're doing that kind of thing all over town," he said.
In one case, a fire started after a resident tried to thaw out a frozen pipe using a blow torch.
Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right: