Events and seminars
• Fair housing forum at 6 p.m. Monday at the Development Resource Center, 1250 Market Street. In observance of the 44th annual Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, the topic of discussion will be on "The True State of the Dream." Special guests include Richard M. Gadzekpo, housing coordinator for the Tennessee Human Rights Commission, and Emily A. O'Donnell, an attorney for Legal Aid of East Tennessee. This event is hosted by the City of Chattanooga Office of Multicultural Affairs, Office of Economic and Community Development, and the Unity Group. For more information or to confirm attendance please contact Paula Coleman in the Office of Economic and Community Development at 423-425-6443.
• Veterans & Franchising from 8:30 to 10 am. Tuesday at The INCubator, 100 Cherokee Boulevard. This seminar will cover misconceptions about franchising, reasons to start a business, how to find the right franchise and programs that offer great incentives and reduced fees for military veterans. Hosted by the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, this event is free and open to the public. Call 423-756-8668 to register.
• Hixson Council Community Coffee at 8 a.m. Tuesday at Country Inn & Suites, 5000 New Country Drive.
• Ooltewah/Collegedale Council Meeting from 9:15 to 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Collegedale City Hall, 4910 Swinyar Drive. Maria Noel of the Chattanooga Area Chamber of Commerce will speak on connecting with minority businesses and customers.
• Hixson Council Meeting at 11:45 a.m. Wednesday at North River Civic Center, 1009 Executive Drive. Hamilton County school board member Greg Martin will give an education update. Meetings cost $10.
• Business After Hours from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the Sheraton Read House: 827 Broad St. The program offers local professionals the opportunity to network and socialize in a different area business each month. For more information, please contact Whitney Risley at 423-763-4375 or events@chattanooga chamber.com
• SBA 8(a) Certification Workshop from 10 to 11:30 a.m. Thursday at the Development Resource Center, 1250 Market St. Walter N. Perry, district director of the U.S. Small Business Administration, will facilitate a discussion about the SBA's 8(a) program.
• North Hamilton County Council Meeting from 11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday at Budweiser, 200 Shearer Street for a professional scavenger hunt. Meetings cost $10.
• Small Business Orientation from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Thursday at The INCubator, 100 Cherokee Boulevard. The counselor discusses basic business planning, including financial projections and legal entities. Attendees will receive an information packet containing phone numbers and addresses for information about business licenses, taxes and other start-up materials. Hosted by the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, this event is free and open to the public. Call 423-756-8668 for more information.
Dave Flessner is the business editor for the Times Free Press. A journalist for 35 years, Dave has been business editor and projects editor for the Chattanooga Times Free Press, city editor for The Chattanooga Times, business and county reporter for the Chattanooga Times, correspondent for the Lansing State Journal and Ingham County News in Michigan, staff writer for the Hastings Daily Tribune in Nebraska, and news director for WCBN-FM in Michigan. Dave, a native ...