IF YOU GO
* What: "The Marvelous Wonderettes."
* When: 7:00 p.m. Friday, Jan. 31; 1 and 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 1; dinner show, 7 p.m. Friday, Feb. 7; dinner show/sock hop, 7 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 8.
* Where: Catoosa County Colonnade, 264 Catoosa Circle, Ringgold, Ga.
* Admission: Opening weekend tickets $15 adults, $12 students and seniors (55 and older); dinner shows $22 adults, $20 seniors and students, $18 groups of 15 or more; Sock hop, dinner and show tickets $25 adults, $22 seniors and students, $20 groups of 15 or more.
* Phone: 706-935-9000.
* Website: colonnadecenter.org.
In his smash off-Broadway hit "The Marvelous Wonderettes," playwright Roger Bean takes a musical trip down memory lane. Productions coming to the Catoosa County Colonnade in Ringgold, Ga., will go along on the journey, complete with two dinner shows and a sock hop on the closing weekend.
The play takes place on the night of the Springfield High School senior prom, circa 1958, and the school's trophy-winning song leaders have been asked to entertain.
But there's tension between two of The Marvelous Wonderettes. Class clown Betty Jean and "bad girl" Cindy Lou are fighting over a boy. Overachiever Missy and happy-go-lucky Suzy have their own issues with their love lives.
Fast-forward a decade to the 10-year class reunion. Again the girls have been asked to provide the entertainment.
Suzy, Missy and Betty Jean have stayed in town after high school, while Cindy Lou set off for Hollywood before returning to Springfield. When they meet again at the reunion, each has a story to tell about the man in her life and what has happened since high school.
Their stories are told with a soundtrack of two dozen favorite hits of the 1950s and '60s, including "Lollipop," "Dream Lover," "Stupid Cupid" and "It's My Party."
The production opens this weekend with three performances on Friday and Saturday, Jan. 31-Feb. 1, including a matinee. The second weekend, Feb. 7-8, will feature an Italian dinner both nights and a sock hop that Saturday. The dinner, served in the Banquet Hall, will include spaghetti, fettuccine, roasted asparagus, salad, bread sticks and dessert.