published Tuesday, July 22nd, 2014

Sleeping man survives fire after neighbors break his bedroom window

7604 Standifer Gap Road
Get directions:  To here - From here

A man survived a fire at his Chattanooga apartment after neighbors threw a rock through his window to wake him up.

The fire started around 9:30 p.m. Monday at Rainbow Creek Apartments at 7604 Standifer Gap Road.

Several people noticed smoke coming from the resident’s apartment, according to a news release from the fire department. When they banged on the front door and got no response, they threw rocks at the bedroom window on the second floor. When they eventually broke the window with one of the rocks, the 24-year-old man woke up and came out.

The same neighbors then carried in fire extinguishers and put out most of the fire, which was located in the kitchen, the release stated. It appeared to have started after food was left unattended on the stove.

The resident was sent to the hospital after exposure to smoke in the apartment.

The fire caused an estimated $20,000 in damage. It has been ruled as accidental.

about Staff Report...

Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:

Other National Articles

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement

Find a Business

400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.