published Wednesday, March 12th, 2014

VIDEO: Gas line rupture sparks fire near Browns Ferry Road; no injuries

  • photo
    Emergency personnel work the scene where a gas line fire erupted at the intersection of Patton Chapel Road and Browns Ferry Road in Lookout Valley.
    Photo by Dan Henry /Chattanooga Times Free Press.

A construction crew accidentally struck a gas line causing a fire this morning near Browns Ferry Road, said Chattanooga Fire Department Public Information Officer Bruce Garner.

Workers were able to get away before the gas found an ignition source and flames sparked. The fire continued to burn off gas until the gas cutoff valve was shut off.

The decision was made to leave the fire burning in order to burn off gas. The valve was shut off at 10:47 a.m., he said.

Power had to be cut, leaving nearby businesses without power as well as Lookout Valley Elementary School.

A nearby hotel was evacuated but no one was injured, Garner said.

No structural damage was reported.

Video courtesy of the Chattanooga Fire Department.

about Staff Report...

Get breaking news from the Times Free Press on Twitter at www.twitter.com/timesfreepress or by visiting us on Facebook or Twitter at the right:

videos »         

photos »         

e-edition »

advertisement
advertisement
400 East 11th St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
General Information (423) 756-6900
Copyright, Permissions, Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy, Ethics policy - Copyright ©2014, Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reprinted without the express written permission of Chattanooga Publishing Company, Inc.