• Clean Sweep Rummage Sale: Office Furniture Warehouse, 2700 Riverside Drive, 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m., $5, rummage sale of furniture, kitchen items, small appliances, toys and electronics; benefits Junior League of Chattanooga. 423-267-5053.
• Hops & Opera: Summit Pianos, 6209 Lee Highway, 7 p.m., enjoy beer or soda while listening to local musicians present operatic arias and Broadway favorites, free but space is limited, call for reservations. 423-499-0600.
• Irish flute music Brainerd United Methodist Church, 4315 Brained Road. Chattanooga Adult Flute Choir performs in honor of St. Patrick's Day, conducted by Nora Kile and featuring guest player/conductor Kayoko Dan, music director of the Chattanooga Symphony & Opera, 3-4 p.m. Free admission. 423-413-4761.
• Hamilton County Republican Women: Morning Pointe of Hixson, 5501 Old Hixson Pike, 11 a.m., speakers are Republican candidates for District 1 and District 8 County Commission seats. Lunch reservations required. Call 423-910-0612.
• Career Expo: Cleveland State Community College, Quentin Lane Gymnasium, Cleveland, Tenn., noon-4 p.m., free career expo with fashion shows on appropriate dress for work. 1, 2 and 3 p.m. Two dozen university representatives on hand to assist graduates wanting to transfer to four-year university. 423-614-8748.
• College Spring Visit Day: Chattanooga State Community College, Health Science Center, 4501 Amnicola Highway, 5-7:30 p.m., free, open house for area high school students. 423-697-2432.
• Chattanooga Photographic Society: St. John United Methodist Church, 3921 Murray Hills Drive, 6 p.m. camera lesson, 7 p.m. program, visitors welcome. 423-344-5643.
• Southern Appalachian Back Country Horsemen: China Wok, 1850 Decatur Pike, Athens, Tenn., 6:30 p.m. meeting, arrive earlier to join others for dinner. Gina Hatler will speak on the proposed horse trails at Enterprise South Park. 423-745-8804.
Susan Palmer Pierce is a reporter and columnist in the Life department. She began her journalism career as a summer employee 1972 for the News Free Press, typing bridal announcements and photo captions. She became a full-time employee in 1980, working her way up to feature writer, then special sections editor, then Lifestyle editor in 1995 until the merge of the NFP and Times in 1999. She was honored with the 2007 Chattanooga Woman of ...