The Times Free Press won 18 awards in the Golden Press Card awards sponsored by the East Tennessee chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists.
First-place awards of excellence went to:
• Times opinion page editor Pam Sohn for editorial writing;
• Reporter Casey Phillips for headline writing;
• Reporter Joy Lukachick for investigative reporting for her coverage of Hayes State Prison;
• Joan Garrett McClane for feature writing for “Speak No Evil;”
• McClane and Todd South for project writing for “Speak No Evil;”
• Reporter Stephen Hargis for sports reporting for “God and the Gridiron;”
• Designer Nick Fowler for Page One design;
• Photographer Dan Henry for deadline photography;
• Designer Cindy Deifenderfer for inside page design;
• Graphic artist Laura W. McNutt for informational graphics;
• McNutt for art illustration;
• Former reporter Beth Burger for deadline/breaking news for coverage of a drowning.
Second-place awards of merit went to Ben Benton for coverage of a flood in South Pittsburg; Shawn Ryan for headline writing; photographer Doug Strickland for “feature photography; and designer Jamie Pool for inside page design. Opinions editor Mark Kennedy received a third place for column writing, and reporter Kevin Hardy received an honorable mention for feature writing.