Family of six displaced by fire in Chattanooga

Family of six displaced by fire in Chattanooga

April 18th, 2018 by Staff Report in Breaking News

This story was updated April 18, 2018, at 8:41 p.m. with more information.

A family of six was displaced Wednesday afternoon by a fire in their rental home.

Firefighters responded to the home in the 900 block of Linden Hall Road shortly after 3 p.m. and found light smoke coming from the crawl space. As more personnel arrived on scene, the smoke spread to a wall on the backside of the house. 

Responders had to cut into the wall on the inside to get to the fire, but no injuries were reported. 

A boy who lives at the residence told firefighters that he tried to put the fire out himself with two portable fire extinguishers, but was unsuccessful so he got everyone safely out. Most of the home is undamaged, but an estimate on the dollar loss is unavailable. 

The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental, most likely from an improperly discarded cigarette.