Two women displaced by house fire on Old Mission Road in Chattanooga

Two women displaced by house fire on Old Mission Road in Chattanooga

January 18th, 2018 by Staff Report in Breaking News

Firefighters extinguished a fire Thursday, Jan. 18, 2018, at a home on the 4600 block of Old Mission Road in Chattanooga. (Photo: Bruce Garner/Chattanooga Fire Department)

Photo by Bruce Garner/Chattanooga Fire Department

Two women narrowly escaped serious injury Thursday morning when a fire broke out in their Old Mission Road home, according to a Chattanooga Fire Department news release.

Firefighters received the alarm shortly before 9 a.m. and responded to the 4600 block of Old Mission Road with five fire companies. Capt. Keith Liles with Squad 13 said smoke and flames were coming out of the front window and front door when the first firefighters arrived on the scene. Both of the occupants were already outside. 

One of the women told firefighters that she woke up to see flames in her room. She woke up the other occupant and together they tried to put the fire out themselves using water from a sink. When they realized they couldn't get the fire out themselves, they left the house. By that time, a neighbor had called 911. 

One of the women received a cut and second-degree burns to one of her hands. She was transported by Hamilton County EMS to Erlanger hospital. An estimate on the dollar loss was not available. The department ruled the fire was accidentally started by a candle.

Volunteers with the American Red Cross were called in to provide assistance to the fire victims. Chattanooga police also provided assistance on the scene. 

The fire department recommends that people use flashlights or flameless candles for light. However, if people must use candles, they are encouraged to take the following precautions:

  • Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. 
  • Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
  • Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won't tip over easily.
  • Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
  • Never leave a child alone in a room with a burning candle.
  • Keep matches and lighters up high and out of children's reach, in a locked cabinet.

Loading...