Thirty-five chief executives of private colleges earned more than $1-million in total compensation in 2010, according to a new report by The Chronicle of Higher Education. The highest paid for 2010 were:
1. J. Robert Kerrey, The New School in New York City, $3,047,703
2. Shirley Ann Jackson, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in New York, $2,340,441
3. G. David Pollick, Birmingham-Southern College in Alabama, $2,312,098
4. Mark S. Wrighton, Washington University in St. Louis, $2,268,837
5. Nicholas S. Zeppos, Vanderbilt University in Nashville, $2,228,349
Source: Chronicle of Higher Education analysis of pay and benefits for presidents, based on federal tax documents from the 2010 calendar year, the most recent available.