Nine Tennessee companies are among the Fortune 500 list of America's biggest companies for 2012, including the Chattanooga-based Unum Corp., which ranked No. 260 with revenues last year of nearly $10.3 billion.
The biggest companies in Tennessee on the Fortune 500 list are:
1. FedEx, the distribution and delivery business based in Memphis, ranked No. 70 with revenues of $39.3 billion
2. HCA Holdings, the world's biggest hospital chain based in Nashville, ranked No. 94 with revenues of $32.5 billion. HCA owns the Parkridge Medical Center, Parkridge Valley and Parkridge East hospitals in Hamilton County.
3. International Paper, the biggest forest and paper product firm based in Memphis, ranked 111 with revenues of $26 billion
4. Dollar General, the discount retail chain based in Goodlettsville, Tenn., ranked 183 with sales of $14.8 billion. Dollar General operates 27 stories in metropolitan Chattanooga.
5. Community Health Systems, the hospital chain based in Franklin, Tenn., ranked 198 with sales of $13.8 billion. CHS owns Skyridge Medical Center in Cleveland.
Source: Fortune magazine, 2012