• Name: Pins and Needles Quilt Shop
• Owner: Stacy Slockbower
• Location: 6425 Hixson Pike, Chattanooga
• Opened: Aug. 2
• Service: Pins and Needles Quilt Shop sells custom quilts, consignment quilts, fabrics, books and tons of quilt-related supplies. The shop also holds classes for quilters and a special 'Girls Night Out' class where participants create a table runner in about two hours. The shop also hosts private parties like baby showers or wedding showers.
• Prices: Fabric prices per yard range from $6 to $13, classes start at $35
• How it got started: Slockbower started quilting four years ago and recently started a non-profit, G.S. Quilts for a Cause, that creates quilts for families with terminally ill children or memory quilts for deceased children. After the charity was successful and well-received, Slockbower decided to turn her hobby into a job and opened the quilt shop.
Initial investment: under $50,000
• Five-year goal: Slockbower hopes to eventually franchise out and open another shop. She wants to set up in areas without a local quilt shop. "I think every town deserves a quilt shop," she said.
• Web site: pinsandneedlesquiltshop.com
• Phone number: 423-668-8734
Compiled by Shelly Bradbury, who may be reached at 757-6525 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.