Social Security: Drawing Social Security off a spouse's record

Social Security: Drawing Social Security off a spouse's record

April 25th, 2013 by Associated Press in Business Diary

Gregory Holmes, district manager for Social Security

Gregory Holmes, district manager for Social Security

Q. I will be 62 in September, and I only worked for about 6 years so I am not eligible for Social Security Benefits on my own work record. Can I draw off my husband's record? We have been married for 44 years. He has been drawing his pension since January 2011.

A. Yes, even if you have never worked under Social Security, you may be able to get spouse's retirement benefits if you are at least 62 years of age and your spouse or ex-spouse is receiving or eligible for retirement or disability benefits. You can also qualify for Medicare at age 65.

You can apply:

• Online:- Use our Social Security Retirement/Medicare Benefit Application to apply for retirement, spouses, ex-spouses or Medicare benefits.

• By phone: Call us at 1-800-772-1213. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you can call us at TTY 1-800-325-0778.

• In person: Visit your local Social Security office. (Call first to make an appointment.)

For more information you my go line to our web site at

Q. I applied for a replacement Social Security card last week but have not received it. When should I expect to receive my new card?

A. It takes approximately 10 to 14 days to receive your replacement Social Security card. We're working harder than ever to protect you, prevent identity theft and ensure the integrity of your Social Security number. To do that, we have to verify documents you present as proof of identity. In some cases, we must verify the documents before we can issue the card. For more information about your Social Security card and number, visit

Submit questions to local Social Security director Gregory Holmes by writing to Business Editor Dave Flessner, Chattanooga Times Free Press, P.O. Box 1447, Chattanooga, TN 37401-1447, or by e-mailing him at