What: Gallery Hop.
When: 2-9 p.m. Saturday.
Where: Galleries and studios in the North Shore and Southside neighborhoods.
New this Year: After party, 9 p.m., Good Dog, 34 Frazier Ave., $20.
Art galleries and studios around the North Shore and Southside will open their doors to visitors Saturday when the Association for Visual Arts sponsors its sixth Gallery Hop.
During this collaborative effort to highlight local talent, visitors get the rare opportunity to visit artist studios, see live demonstrations and learn about the creative process from local artists.
There is no charge for the hop, said AVA's Jerry Dale McFadden, but there is a nominal $20 fee for the after-party which takes place at Good Dog, 34 Frazier Ave., at 9 p.m.
McFadden said tickets will be sold at Good Dog's door Saturday night, while any remain. However, to ensure entry, McFadden suggests hoppers drop by AVA Saturday afternoon and purchase the wristband in advance.
Gallery Hop participants may start their route at any of the participating galleries. A brochure, which includes a map and description of each gallery and studio on the hop, will be available at all participating galleries.
Hoppers wishing to plan their routes ahead may download the map from www.avarts.org/galleryhop. There will also be a mobile map for smartphone users on the same website.
In addition to refreshments, many of the venues are hosting special exhibits or demonstrations for Gallery Hop. Following is a sample.
* AVA: Opening reception for "Fresh," an exhibition for emerging artists who have not had a major solo show, who do not have gallery representation and who reside in the Southeast.
* Chenoweth-Halligan Studios: Fiber installations by Atlanta artist Ann Rowles, mixed-media 3-D works and drawings by South Carolinian Linda McCune, drawings by Roger Halligan and installations by Jan Chenoweth.
* Ignis Glass: Owner Chris Mosey said visitors to Ignis can blow their own glass ornaments during Gallery Hop. He said there is a $40 fee for one of the take-home orbs. Mosey also said that between 4 and 7 p.m., Shadow May will give pottery demonstrations.
* River Gallery: Meet artist Courtenay James and watch his oil-painting demonstration from 2 to 6 p.m.
* Shuptrine's Gold Leaf Designs: Watch a demonstration about gilding (laying golf leaf) from 2 to 4 p.m. In the gallery will be new work by Kathleen Mack, oils by artists Timothy West, Hunter Eddy and Brett Weaver.
* Townsend Atelier: The gallery is celebrating its first anniversary with a nonjuried show featuring the work of 50 students and instructors who have participated in Townsend's classes and workshops over the past year.
* Winder Binder: New selections from Michael Wimmer's "Cultural Fragments" collection will be featured.