If Santa's kitchen elves are played out at home, then dining out on Christmas Day may be in the offing.
Most of the following are serving from their regular menus. Back Inn Cafe and The Chattanoogan will have brunch menus with fixed pricing.
Your favorite place not listed here? It's probably wise to call first.
* Back Inn Cafe, 411 E. Second St. 11 a.m.-4 p.m. (special brunch menu; $34.95 adults, $17.95 children 12 and younger). 423-265-5033, ext. 4.
* Beast + Barrel, 16 Frazier Ave., 3-11 p.m. 423-805-4599.
* The Big Chill, 103 Cherokee Blvd., 11 a.m.-2 a.m. 423-267-2445.
* Big River Grille, 222 Broad St. location only, 4-10 p.m. 423-267-2739.
* Buffet King, 5230 Highway 153, 11 a.m.-10 p.m. 423-877-8816.
* The Chattanoogan, 1201 Broad St. 11 a.m.-4 p.m. (special buffet in the ballroom; $38.95 adults, $18.95 children 6-12). 423-424-3700.
* Chef Lin, 5084 South Terrace, 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m. 423-510-1998.
* China Rose, 9203 Lee Highway, Ooltewah, 11 a.m.-10 p.m. 423-238-1268 (cash only).
* City Cafe Diner, 901 Carter St., 423-634-9191; and 7641 Lee Highway, 423-485-8222, both 24 hours.
* Fuji Steakhouse, 5437 Highway 153, noon-10 p.m. 423-531-3183.
* Hair of the Dog Pub, 334 Market St., 6 p.m.-3 a.m. 423-265-4615.
* The Honest Pint, 35 Patten Parkway, 5 p.m.-2 a.m. 423-468-4192.
* Huddle House, all locations, 24 hours.
* IHOP, 5814 Brainerd Road, 423-490-0559; 5113 Highway 153, 423-877-4732; both open at noon, then 24 hours a day.
* New China, 8530 Hixson Pike, 11 a.m.-10 p.m. 423-843-0586.
* New China Buffet and Grill, 3450 Cummings Highway, 11 a.m.-9:30 p.m. 423-821-6988.
* Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, 2321 Lifestyle Way, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.; dinner menu served all day, 423-602-5900.
* Sweet Basil Thai, 5845 Brainerd Road, 11 a.m.-11 p.m. 423-485-8836.
* Waffle House, all locations, 24 hours.
Many restaurants also may have special hours on Christmas Eve. Here are three of note.
› Adelle’s Creperie, 400 E. Main St., will be open special hours, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., and serving a holiday brunch with an expanded menu. In addition to the regular offerings of sweet and savory crepes, the cooks will serve up omelettes, paninis, salads, soups and Belgian waffles, along with such specialty drinks as mulled wine, peppermint hot chocolate, eggnog shakes and champagne floats. Carolyn Insler and Jessica Nunn will provide music from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., and face painting will help keep the kids entertained. www.adellescreperie.com.
› Easy Bistro & Bar, 203 Broad St., will be open 11 a.m.-9 p.m., with reservations accepted until 8 p.m. (closed Christmas Day). 423-266-1121.
› Main Street Meats, 217 E. Main St., will be open until 8 p.m. (closed Christmas Day). 423-602-9568.