JANUARY HIKES -- Cloudland Canyon State Park, 122 Cloudland Canyon Park Road, Rising Fawn, Ga. All hikes led by Georgia Girl Guides of Trenton, Ga. 706-913-7170.
* Introduction to Caving: 2 p.m. each Saturday, $20 per person, for ages 6 and older, guides will direct participants through a crawl space and walk with you to an underground river.
* Wild Cave Tour: 10 a.m. Saturdays, 4 p.m. Wednesdays, for ages 6 and older, two-hour adventure to get muddy, wet and climb on rocks. Must be able to crawl, stoop, balance, climb and wade into cold water.
SANDHILL CRANE FESTIVAL-- Birchwood School, 5623 Highway 60, and nearby Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge. Watch and photograph cranes, hear speakers and entertainers, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Jan. 14-15. Free. 931-484-9571.
CHATTANOOGA PUBLIC LIBRARY -- 1001 Broad St. (main library) and branches at Eastgate, Northgate and South Chattanooga. For programming information, including preschool storytime, Adventure Club for ages 6 and up and Teen Stack for teens, call 757-5310 or visit www.lib.chattanooga.gov.
CHILDREN'S STORY HOUR
* Barnes & Noble, 2100 Hamilton Place Blvd., 11 a.m. Wednesdays. 893-0186.
* Books Never-Ending, 247 Cloud Springs Road, Rossville, 10:30 a.m. Saturdays for ages 3-8. 706-891-0774. www.booksneverending.com.
CREATIVE DISCOVERY MUSEUM -- 321 Chestnut St. $10.95 adults and children. 756-2738, www.cdmfun.org. Science experiment: Fruit Juice Spherification, combining chemistry and fruit juice, various times today.
ART -- Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe High School, Room 310, 1850 Battlefield Parkway. Drawing and Painting, taught by LFO art instructor Wendy Morgan, 4-8 p.m. today, Thursday and Jan. 17 and 19. Acrylics provided or bring your own oils. $15 per class or $40 for the month. 706-866-0342.
ART -- Townsend Atelier, 201 W. Main St. Registration required for all classes. 266-2712.
* Today-Feb. 21: Oil Painting, Durinda Cheek instructor, 9 a.m.-noon beginners, 1-4 p.m. advanced.
* Jan. 14-15: Introduction to Figurative Modeling, Elizabeth Rogers instructor, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
* Jan. 21-22: The Art of the Tin Can, Karen Rudolph instructor, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
DOG OBEDIENCE -- Obedience Club of Chattanooga training facility, Highway 193, Flintstone, Ga. Registration 1-3 p.m. Sunday for classes starting Monday. Bring copy of dog's shot record to registration. www.chattanoogaobedienceclub.org.
FAFSA (COLLEGE FINANCIAL AID) -- Chattanooga Public Library, second-floor classroom, 1001 Broad St. Free assistance for high school students and their parents with filling out the required federal financial aid form, 2 p.m. Jan. 14. Also learn about other scholarships available. Advance registration required: 757-5428.
LINE -- Allemande Hall, 7400 Standifer Gap Road. Classes 5:30-6:30 p.m. each Monday in January. $7 per evening, $22 for month. No partner or experience required. 309-6842.
SENIORS -- Teamsters Building, 4431 Bonny Oaks Drive. Music by The Bounty Hunters Country Band, 7-10 p.m. Saturdays. $5. 332-6833.
SINGLES -- First-Centenary United Methodist Church, Mohney Hall, 419 McCallie Ave. "Winter Wonderland" dance sponsored by Positive Christian Singles, 8 p.m. Jan. 14. $8 per person includes refreshments. 756-2021.