* What: Scenic City Roots featuring Big Kitty, Striking Matches, Ashley Monroe and Ben Sollee.
* When: 7 p.m. today, Jan. 9.
* Where: Track 29, 1400 Market St.
* Admission: $10 adults, $5 students.
* Phone: 423-521-2929.
* Website: www.track29.co.
The monthly Scenic City Roots concert series at Track 29 resumes tonight, Jan. 9, with a show featuring Big Kitty, Striking Matches, Ashley Monroe and Ben Sollee.
The two-hour musical variety shows are available live online at track29.co and on WPLZ-FM 106.9. They are also recorded and edited into four segments featuring each act in a half-hour show that is aired on PBS stations across the state, including locally on WTCI-TV 45 at 9 p.m. Thursdays.
Along with the music, acts are interviewed on camera with Craig Havighurst, founder of String Theory Media in Nashville, handling the on-air interviews. Keith Bilbrey, a well-known radio and TV personality in Nashville, announces the acts, and singer/songwriter Jim Lauderdale emcees the evening.
* Striking Matches features Sarah Zimmermann, a Philadelphia native, and Justin Davis, who is from Atlanta. They met at Belmont University when they were randomly paired together by a professor to play for a classroom full of guitar majors. They've been writing and performing together ever since.
* Big Kitty began in Maryville, Tenn., and now call Chattanooga home. The current lineup features Clark Williams, Cole Champion, Billy Joe Johnson, Amanda Cagle, Daniel Binkley and Yuriko Hoshino.
* Ashley Monroe, a solo artist as well as part of Pistol Annies with Miranda Lambert and Angeleena Presley, has sung backup for Wanda Jackson and The Raconteurs, among others. Her most recent CD, "Like a Rose," made several critics' lists as one of the best of 2013.
* Ben Sollee was named one of NPR's Top 10 Great Unknown Artists in 2008. His second full-length album was produced by My Morning Jacket frontman Jim James and Daniel Martin Moore. Sollee returned the favor by playing cello on MMJ's "Circuital."