Area farmers are cultivating fun with this season's crop of corn mazes.
Last week we navigated mazes in Athens, Ocoee and Crossville, Tenn.; Rocky Face and Ringgold, Ga.; and Rainsville, Ala. (find a link at fyi.timesfreepress.com).
This week we'll circle in on crops as close as Flintstone, Ga., and as far afield as Estill Springs, Tenn. A third in Riceville, Tenn., completes the trio of corn mazes welcoming their first visitors this weekend. Two more, in Stevenson, Ala., and Resaca, Ga., will be ready for business next weekend.
ROCK CITY'S ENCHANTED MAIZE
* Where: Blowing Springs Farm, 271 Chattanooga Valley Road, Flintstone, Ga. From Chattanooga, take Broad Street south, turning left onto Tennessee Avenue (toward Rock City). Do not go up the mountain, but follow Tennessee Avenue, which becomes St. Elmo Avenue. Follow 1.8 miles and turn right after the Conoco station on the state line (Chattanooga Valley Road) but before the junk yard. The farm is 200 yards down on the left. If you miss the turn, take the next two right turns to circle back. From I-75 or U.S. 27 in North Georgia, take Georgia Highway 2 West past Ridgeland High School to the stoplight at Highway 193. Turn north and go 2.2 miles. Turn left onto Chattanooga Valley Road. Go 0.2 mile and look for signs on the left.
* Hours: 9 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Thursdays, 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Fridays, 10:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday, noon-6:30 p.m. Sundays in September; maze closes at 6 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays in October for Blowing Screams Farm haunted tours.
* Closing date: Oct. 31.
* Rates: $9 adults, $7 children 4-12. Group rates start at 15 people. Bring an empty plastic bottle to help build the recycling Re-Maze for $2 discount. Additional charge for some activities.
* Activities: Hayride, kids cow train, corn slingshot, inflatables, pumpkin painting, Fairyland Forest makeovers, bean bag toss, playground. Slow Food Chattanooga farmers market Saturdays and Sundays.
* Phone: 706-820-2531 information, 706-820-0759 group reservations.
* Website: www.enchantedmaze.com.
* Fridays and Saturdays in October: Live music, nightly bonfire and Black Forest makeovers at Blowing Screams Farm, $25 combo includes maze ticket.
* Where: 1165 Highland Ridge Road, Estill Springs, Tenn. From Winchester, go down Dinah Shore Boulevard toward Tullahoma. Turn left onto Bible Crossing Road beside Franklin Farmers Co-op. Go straight through two four-way stops to the end of the road and turn right beside Riva Lake Church onto Highway 130. Go 5.8 miles and turn left onto Pleasant Grove Road across from Dunlap's Market. Go 2.4 miles and turn left onto Highland Ridge Road. Go 0.4 mile to the farm on the left. From Manchester, go west on Highway 55 into Tullahoma. Go over the Veterans Viaduct and continue straight through the stoplight. At the end of the road, turn left beside the funeral home onto Highway 130. Go 3.6 miles and veer right onto Awalt Road (Highway 476) just past fire department. Go 2.3 miles and turn left onto Pleasant Grove Road at mile marker 9. Go 0.2 mile and turn right onto Highland Ridge Road. Go 0.4 mile to the farm on the right.
* Hours: 1:30-6 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, 1:30-10 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday. Fall market open 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday (all times Central).
* Closing date: Oct. 30.
* Rates: Weekends $8 ages 10 and up, $6 ages 2-9; weekdays $6 all admissions; Fridays buy three general admissions, get fourth free.
* Activities: Corn maze, pumpkin patch, hayrides (10:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays), moonlight hayrides (5 p.m. Fridays; 6:30, 7:30 and 8:30 p.m. Saturdays), gourd tunnel, animal barn, nature trail, hillside slide, goat walk, tire swings, straw maze, corn box, duck races, playground, tire mountain, logical mazes, pig races (Saturday only).
* Phone: 931-327-4080.
* Website: www.grandaddysfarm.com.
GUTHRIE PUMPKIN FARM AND CORN MAZE
* Where: 490 County Road 67, Riceville, Tenn. From Chattanooga, take I-75 North to Exit 42. Turn right off the exit ramp. Travel 1 mile and take the first road on the right, County Road 67. Follow 2.6 miles to the farm on the right.
* Hours: 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 1-6 p.m. Sunday.
* Closing date: Nov. 7.
* Rates: $8 adults, $6 children 5-12. Discounts for groups of 20 with reservations. Additional charge for some activities.
* Activities: Corn maze, meadow maze, hay bale maze, rope maze, hayride, pumpkin patch, petting barn, picnic area, bonfires.
* Phone: 423-650-2939.
* Website: www.tn pumpkinfarm.com.
* Friday and Saturday nights: Flashlight Nights in the maze (bring your own).
Opening Oct. 1
CROW CREEK PUMPKIN PATCH
* Where: 52 County Road 56, Stevenson, Ala. From Chattanooga, take Highway 72 West into Stevenson, then Highway 117 North 12 miles to the farm.
* Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday (all times Central).
* Closing date: Oct. 31.
* Rates: $8 includes hayride and pumpkin. Group rates for 20 or more.
* Activities: Pumpkin patch, maze, hayrides, corn play bin, petting zoo, picnic area.
* Phone: 256-437-1044.
* Website: www.crow creekpumpkinpatch.com.
* Oct. 14-16, 21-23, 28-31: Haunted Hayride, $10.
Opening Oct. 1
LITTLE RIVER FARMS
* Where: 669 Nickelsville Road, NE, Resaca, Ga. Farm is about one mile from I-75. From Exit 320, travel Highway 136 East about 0.25 mile, turning left at the dead-end onto U.S. 41, then right back onto 136 between the police station and Resaca Grocery and follow 0.75 mile.
* Hours: 11 a.m. Saturdays (other times based on group reservations; check calendar online).
* Closing date: Oct. 30.
* Rates: $10 ages 9 and up, $8 ages 8 and younger.
* Activities: Corn maze, pumpkin patch, hayrides, petting zoo, picnic area.
* Phone: 706-280-7393.
* Website: www.little riverfarms.com.
* Oct. 1-2, 8-9, 15-16, 22-23, 29-31: Haunted corn maze.
Find a link to all the corn mazes featured in FYI Weekend at fyi.timesfreepress.com.
This weekend's featured event at Mayfield Corn Maze, 257 Highway 307, in Athens, Tenn., is what's described as the largest tomato fight in North America. The Mayfield Mater Olympics, scheduled 2-6 p.m. Saturday, pits fans of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga against UT Knoxville. Admission is $5 and five cans of food. Proceeds benefit Chattanooga and Knoxville food banks. Visit mayfieldfarmandnursery.com for more information.