Three hundred and fifty Volkswagen owners and 100 vendors will be joined by hundreds of fans of all things VW this weekend at Camp Jordan in East Ridge for the annual Bug-A-Paluza.
Presented by Scenic City Volks Folks, the car show and gathering raise funds for Ronald McDonald House Charities of Greater Chattanooga. Last year's event raised $15,000.
The show began in 1999. The year before, 12 VW lovers people showed up at a local car lot. They'd heard about a new VW club being organized via an online newsgroup.
Today, Bug-A-Paluza is a three-day event that includes overnight camping, live entertainment, door prizes and technical talk sessions, as well as events for kids.
Admission is $4 per person. Camping is $6 and includes event entry.
For information, call Mike Pleasant at 240-1224 or Jules Kinder at 778-4140.
Note: Times subject to change. More events will be announced during the weekend.
* Noon. Gates open for show cars, campers and vendors to set up
* 6 p.m. Opening
* 5-8 p.m. Show car registration
* 5-7 p.m. Dinner and concessions served
* 8:30 p.m. (or around sundown). Mini drive-in for kids
* 11 p.m. Camping gate closes
* 8 a.m. Car show, registration booths and spectator gates open
* 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Blood Assurance Life Bug on display
* 8 a.m.-11 a.m. Breakfast served
* 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Show car judging
* 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Lunch served
* 2-7 p.m. Dinner served
* 7 p.m. V-Dub Gong Show plus live band, Plum Crazy
* All day. Authentic German music on accordion by Lisa McGarvey; tech sessions with a certified VW mechanic; Kids Zone, featuring games, activities, prizes and the Chalk-a-Bug; Von Hot Rod
* 8 a.m. Spectator gates open (no new show car registrations)
* 8:30 a.m. Short, nondenominational devotional service
* 3 p.m. Trophy Presentation for 49 classes, as well as Best of awards, longest distance, survivor and ladies' choice
* All day. Von Hot Rod
* Throughout day. Engine soundoff and stereo contests, VW engine giveaway